• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Roma 200 journal.

Hey, so the tank is just over a year old now!

Everything is growing really well now, I did remove the arch with the trident on top as it was blocking alot of flow and alot of debris was getting trapped in it despite me giving it a good brush with my hand every other day.

What has happened as a result is the Balansae growing taller and the crypts are recovering much faster, the new plants are all filling in very nicely, I am surprised how well the palustris is growing too.

Also added 2 angelfish last week and they seem very happy with the bushy polysperma and the tall Balansae and they love hunting among the crypts.

It has not all been happy though as I lost the cockatoo a few months ago but apart from that all livestock are very very happy.

I will try and get some decent pictures at some point in the near future.

Thanks for reading.

Well if you've still got the trident (or future plants) maybe add some DIY aqua decor as shown by Jurijs mit JS in a recent video (technique applied to a Green Aqua tank - watch their video for that :D)

second “boosted” tank

Some pictures from the new phone.

20190624_144921.jpg 20190624_145034.jpg

As Tim says :)

But I recommend feeding less (start with 20% reduction and see how it goes) - you have some very rotund fish in there
I’d target an eventual ~50% reduction
But
it can be difficult with having more varied species as some are just much more voracious eaters

:sorry: if this comes across as offensive

I should probably cut back on portion size, I already feed once every 2-3 days.

They are all very greedy though, eat the food I put in for them and then they all tuck into the algae wafer I put in for the oto's.

Thanks for the encouraging comments about plant growth too.

the algae wafer I put in for the oto's.
that’s probably it :lol:

poor Otos - maybe try feeding them fresh veg instead (red pepper, kale type greens, zucchini etc) - straight up spirulina tabs might be less attractive to the rest (though your Otos might also complain ;))

You could also look at increasing flow in the tank - can’t recall what filters etc you’re using - as that increase their (fat fishes) exercise

What are you feeding?

that’s probably it :lol:

poor Otos - maybe try feeding them fresh veg instead (red pepper, kale type greens, zucchini etc) - straight up spirulina tabs might be less attractive to the rest (though your Otos might also complain ;))

You could also look at increasing flow in the tank - can’t recall what filters etc you’re using - as that increase their (fat fishes) exercise

What are you feeding?

Currently feeding flake food supplemented with pellets every now and again.

Could I try feeding the wafer at night?

Last edited:
The two Angelfish I got are still actively swimming together, very very little aggression shown, could I assume I have got lucky and have a pair or is it too early to tell?

20190710_150305_083.jpg 20190710_150305_093.jpg

Hard to get them both sideways because they always look at the phone haha

Ok so this tank has been stripped down to the substrate as I move to a new adventure.

All the livestock are ok, doing good.

I am planning on getting a pleco and decided to go all out to make the tank suitable for one (or maybe a few depending which one I choose).

Currently eradicating any BBA that I find, mainly on the substrate at the front where plants were not present and on the filter, going well so far I would say 80% of it is turning red so far due to spot dosing liquid carbon with the filter off, once I am happy it has gone I will start building up the hardscape etc.

Going to be going mainly hardscape only, maybe use a trident fern or 2 on some rocks I am making a cave out of, using floaters to diffusse as much light as possible, the 2 pieces of wood I had in the scape have been soaked in a bucket with liquid carbon and water and then given a good spray down to prepare them for reuse.

Thanks to all who read the journal and offered fantastic advice and idea's.

Nice little read though this did you keep the original led lights that came with this tank? I'm thinking of buying roma 240 and planting but only mosses cryps vallis and anibias

Nice little read though this did you keep the original led lights that came with this tank? I'm thinking of buying roma 240 and planting but only mosses cryps vallis and anibias

Sorry but I only just saw this reply :( yes still using standard led that came with the tank, still using the u4 too.

The tank is a bit bare plant wise now though as I re-did it to house a pleco, now has a few crypts and nothing else.

The light did fine though as a low tech as you can see from the most recent pictures.

Back