• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cloudy sky

Still some work to do but here's standing right now; constructive advice or suggestions welcome!

Still lots on the to do list but as a minimum:
-Need to try a longer backlight but also need to get some pipes and tubing up the back right long term, this may show why this cloud pattern could work.
-Some larger pieces of slate to add into the slopes as/where I feel them needed - if at all
-Still have the rubble piles to construct to go in front of the walls.

20190613_211108 (2).jpg
20190613_211217 (2).jpg
20190613_211329 (2).jpg

I'm liking your scape Andrew, it's different and imaginative. The first image I ever saw, that blew my mind and introduced me to aquascaping about 3 years ago, was this one:

4270.jpg

I love these full scene scapes and really appreciate the skill that must go into them. I tried to make one myself with a "tree" but it really didn't cut the mustard lol. I used hydrocotyle tripartita for the leaves, but with no co2 it looked rough, so changed it out for bolbitis which gave quite a good effect. Scale is very difficult to achieve and mine was definitely off.

The curves of the pathway seems rather unnatural. Any person/animal would go in a more direct angle or follow the contours of the landscape.
I'm not feeling the background. If the landscape rose and then dropped at the rear (as if cresting a hill) it might seem more natural but right now it appears the sky crashes into the ground. Maybe it's the lack of grassland or just the image.
If you look at the back left there is a hill so I could argue the path does follow a contour but after input from other people
I've looked at the back left and I would argue that there appears to be a slope (from the front centre, up to the rear left corner) but not a hill. Hills rise and fall, much like the image posted by Amberz (post #182).
Earlier in this journal the path design went from the front left corner and curved left towards the rear centre. It looked more natural. As apposed to the newer design of left, then right and curving left again.
Perhaps, instead of a path, a stream would be a better fit
How would I achieve this?
You could achieve this any number of ways. There are probably hundreds of images of stream like designs in an aquarium/aquascape for you to research yourself. UKAPS would be a good place to start for inspiration.
Are you planning on putting stones back around the fallen branch?
hopefully this answers your question?
Do me a favour and just don't comment on this thread anymore - if you don't like it that's fine but at least take the time to read through a post before commenting or give me some more constructive comments with more detail.
Maybe how you think the path (or stream) should be constructed or direction
You just answered my question with a question but followed it up with a request. That request was to not respond.
I missed one short sentence from you. This journal is not the only thing I follow in my BUSY life.
I may still coment on this thread after this post.
I'm not here to tell you where to place every stone or what I would do. IT IS YOUR SCAPE.
If you do not like anybodies ideas or responces then don't reply or be civil if you do.
I'm quite confident I can add some more smaller pieces of wood to the structure and make them almost look as thought they've been there all along/natural.
people who maybe understand not everything has to conform and my planted aquarium has never set out to replicate anything natural which I think the wall demonstrates straight away.
I find you very confusing, rude and condescending.
The wall looks very natural, compared to what I've seen during my lifetime. However the direction and curvature of the wall makes it look "model railway".

Guys please keep it civil. Sometimes forums aren't the best medium for communication and misunderstandings can occur, especially when asking for, or giving, feedback on something that's been worked on long and hard. Please take a step back and consider the wording of future posts carefully. One of the reasons UKAPS is still going strong when most other similar forums have died is because there is a culture of politely respecting other members, and different views.

I’ve like the idea from day 1
Love the background
The fact that you have two different light sources for different effects is cool
Have you thought of the remote controlled led strip for the night time effect you could make some cool sunsets with reds etc they are cheap don’t take up any room and are waterproof

Hills don’t have to be big
If you lay on flat grass land where the next level is lower the sky meets the level you are on - shortening the horizon from infinity to very close

It’s great to see someone trying new things

I have a crazy upside down one that I want to create one day

Can’t wait to see this scape planted and grown in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really nice scape this Andrew, there are loads of scenes that are very similar in real life to what you want to achieve so big thumbs up. once planted up this would be remarkable. just a suggestion, if you somehow add another branch that has fallen from your main tree and leaning left towards the one that protrudes from the wall and covered in moss as most fallen trunks do, may just provide the transition you need. either way still a handsome scape. love the atmosphere the clouds in the background offer. watching with interest.

Such an unusual and original scape idea. Keep at it!!!
Great, just keep going in the same direction......
I'm liking your scape Andrew, it's different and imaginative
Loving the creativity going in to this, it's so unique. However my OCD can't deal with the branch resting on the wall
I like it M8 :thumbup: unsure about the fallen branch, but thats a minor detail easy changed OFC ;)
I’ve like the idea from day 1
Love the background
The fact that you have two different light sources for different effects is cool
Have you thought of the remote controlled led strip for the night time effect you could make some cool sunsets with reds etc they are cheap don’t take up any room and are waterproof
It’s great to see someone trying new things
If that is what YOU like then do it. :)
New set of eyes looking at this scape. I love the shape of the tree and the backlit version in the first photo really brings the negative spaces out. I also like the fallen branch on the wall; it tells a story. Looking forwards to seeing it planted!

I will try and reply to all of the posts at once as there seem to be a couple of main trends I think, anything not answered then please ask away or as ever constructive criticism or suggestions welcome.
  • It's unusual/different; This idea isn't for everyone, I'm fully aware of that and maybe not even for me! I was looking back through the pictures of how it started and there was always something I had pictured and knew I wanted to add something more than just the variety of plants and not pieces of stone - I know slate is a type of stone but I think you will get what I'm saying.
  • The fallen branch was a suggestion from someone else and do I/don't I like it, I'm not sure! It again seems to have split opinions so @lazybones51 and @Zeus. what would you do different.
@dean it is a light that you can change the colours on.

I just need to work on long term inlets/outlets I can position on the side along with my doser pipes etc, possibly thinking about putting black vinyl on the right hand side and adding it all there.
If I put any of this on the back it will cause shadowing from the backlighting. I will start things off with a spraybar running along the back until the plants have started spreading and then think about it from there.
I really like stainless steel skimmer inlets but the ones I have/can find don't have decent lily pipes to match without clumsy looking plastic brackets also a bit noisy.
Maybe a spraybar running the width instead of the length? - not so sure on this.
This is all assuming I can get away with using just one Fluval G6 filter for things.

Plants are pretty much there but the big one is with regard to MC/HC; I was thinking about using HC in the central section and MC on the left hand side of the path but unsure if this will look right.
When the HC/MC have grown in add some Eleocharis, Rotala Bonsai, Staurogyne Repens here and there amongst it and some small buce to the wall.
Marsilea hirsuta and Marsilea crenata mixed together behind the wall and up the slope behind the tree, depending how it grows in will dictate what else, if anything I will put there.

I would use HC to back and MC to the front so the leaf size should help give it more depth.

I find myself focusing on the branch so without it I feel my focus would be drawn into the Scape better. Almost feels like the branch is photo bombing the Scape.

Lonely tree or Tree and branch ;)

really nice scape this Andrew, there are loads of scenes that are very similar in real life to what you want to achieve so big thumbs up. once planted up this would be remarkable. just a suggestion, if you somehow add another branch that has fallen from your main tree and leaning left towards the one that protrudes from the wall and covered in moss as most fallen trunks do, may just provide the transition you need. either way still a handsome scape. love the atmosphere the clouds in the background offer. watching with interest.
I missed this one :banghead: - any chance you add what you mean to a photo in paint or similar as I'm not picturing it in my head?
I'm not really wanting to add moss as it seems very keen to take the tank over if you're not careful from what I've read so hoping to find some miniature Buce with a bit of a red/purple tinge to them if I can find some.
The cloud picture isn't necessarily my first choice but it is more of an experiment and is the only photo I had which was decent enough in quality and I think adds enough.
Thanks for the input though.

I would use HC to back and MC to the front so the leaf size should help give it more depth.

I find myself focusing on the branch so without it I feel my focus would be drawn into the Scape better. Almost feels like the branch is photo bombing the Scape.

Lonely tree or Tree and branch ;)

I will rename it cloudy sky for now as it's not such a lonely tree anymore - I have elsewhere, just not here.
The fallen branch was a suggestion from elsewhere to take the uniformity out of the wall which I thought I'd try and maybe it will look a bit less of a 'photobomb' when the plants have grown around and the rubble pile is underneath - we will see!
I've a feeling the wall will be lost when the plants grow in anyway so time will tell.

I've never mixed HC/MC together so don't know quite how that would work, unsure if anyone else has?

The MC does tend to take over the HC with time as the MC tends to grow faster - well did in my 50l when it was in their.

HC is hard work keeping it short also esp in your big tank, but you've been their already :(

Yes the wall may soon disappear - maybe a few more courses

The MC does tend to take over the HC with time as the MC tends to grow faster - well did in my 50l when it was in their.

HC is hard work keeping it short also esp in your big tank, but you've been their already :(

Yes the wall may soon disappear - maybe a few more courses
I've never had a tank fully carpeted out, finished etc with HC - only MC which I found okay.
This is all quite an experiment anyway; if it works great, if not then I will have to think again for next time and it may not last as long as I had hoped.
I was going to make the wall higher but stopped for some reason; it's too late really to start adding as it's all stuck together and has the copings. Would I have done it different another time? - yes, probably I would but this is an experiment like most things I do.

HC to back and MC to the front
Good idea.

Also a mixed carpet may help also with different sized marselia species etc. Mini pelia maybe on the tree.

Scale might be a challenge in this one. Keen to see how it evolves after planting.

If you wanted to make the wall taller couldn’t you add extra courses to the bottom as the top is finished ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd thought about this and decided against it mainly just to see what I have turns out like and how much taller a future project would need to be.
Also a mixed carpet may help also with different sized marselia species etc
I'm going to keep the Marsilea just behind the wall on the right hand side but if this is what you meant then I was going to try just Quadrifolia and Crenata as I believe them to be the lower growing which is what I'm after; although I've no experience with this plant. I've no intentions as things stand to put any plants with real height in.
Scale might be a challenge in this one.
It may sound lazy but I'm not so fussed about scale, at the minute it's just a planted aquarium for me to enjoy looking at hopefully.
Mini pelia maybe on the tree.
I've considered a few options in the past and had quite a few suggested with regard to planting the tree and at the moment I'm going to leave it bare; see how it looks when the main plants have filled out and again when I've added the other plants into the left and middle sections after the MC/HC has filled in..

Last edited:
Back