• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Surprise plant in a forgotten pot

dean

Hi All
We had a pot of sedum that was left unattended for a few years and yesterday I noticed this surprise plant in there

Any ideas what it is ?
5c52e0f185a1af770cd43e6ed90804fb.jpg

3e2d23348721514ec3d915b85d675e36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are so similar that most botanists tend to describe them under the genus name, plus they hybridise easily and there are various pure subspecies. Some work has been done to look at genetic differentiation, although this tends to be equally prevalent within each population as is also evident in the differentiation between species. This means that any genetic attempt to understand the current taxa has highlighted ambiguity. Botanists instead tend to describe species based on populations in a specific area. There is no real way to tell from the vegetation. It could even be an ancient form of the Irish type if the sedum was planted in peat.

So I’m in Warrington Cheshire
(Northwest) so the seed could of come via bird or possibly wind from wales or even Ireland or even in clothing when we visit family in the south
So it’s anyone guess what it actually is

But one things for sure it’s a very beautiful native plant
Any tips on how to propagate it ?
Im sure that the pot it is in contains 95% gravel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean, I hope that you are up for a challenge. I would have a go at tissue culture, which I believe is a growing hobby in the USA. This video I found very interesting a while back. Often certain growth hormones are added to aquarium plants to create compact growth and multiple shoots, but orchids have been traditionally farmed in the far east without the need for them.

Back