• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Paludarium In the making.

I don’t really know how they will fair, I would say they are getting more humidity than the average household one would but if that is enough for them to flourish, I don’t know?
Yes I am spraying everything inside with plain rainwater at least once a day and more often three or four times a day but I hope to slow this down once everything is setteted in a bit more.
As it happens I bought another 12 air plants this morning! My local garden centre was selling 12 in a glass tube for £25.
The first ones I bough via eBay cost me £3.99 each.

I have the new air plants in place, I just took this picture a few mins before lights off, with just one light on...
The jasmine decided to flower today, lovely smell if a little overpowering...
ADFD2525-E972-4376-B578-CF9A7292D9DF.png

I need to thing about some water plants, maybe a tiger lily ?

I like nymphoides hydrophylla 'taiwan' as it's a really bright green and will bring light to the darker bottom. The only downside is if you want something that you can just drop and forget because it grows new plants from the leaves and needs some regular ish pruning.

I have the new air plants in place, I just took this picture a few mins before lights off, with just one light on...
The jasmine decided to flower today, lovely smell if a little overpowering...
View attachment 121545
That looks amazing.

Hi Darrel, I am good at stunting plants, 45 years of bonsai experience!
Getting lots of unwanted weeds though!
Mostly, everything is fine with the exception of the air plants, most of them died before I worked out what was killing them. They seem to like being dry for most of the time with only the occasional spraying but the main thing is that no part of the plant touches anything that is permanently wet. Even a tiny end of a spike (or leaf or whatever it is called) will suck up water and rot the plant. I also worked out just how much much bright light and heat they like, so the few that are thriving are the ones right at the top under the main light.
I might get some more....

Last edited:
The solerirolia ( if that is what it Is?) is growing rampant and spreading everywhere...

As Abba sang the song "The winner takes it all".. :)

May the strongest win.. :) That's only natural competitons.. Also seen it in a friends dart frog paludarium.. He planted Ficus pumila among others, after a few years it covered the background completely almost choking all others out of the way. And its a big palu metre in height and width.. It actualy doesn't look bad at all.

Considering it is hard to find many that different plant sp. in nature on such little surface area. In comparance with what we build with our collectoritis approach it's hard and about a day job to keep all planted intact and thriving all togehter.

Hi all,
Hi Darrel, I am good at stunting plants, 45 years of bonsai experience!
I'll post some of your <"Bonsai images">, they are pretty stunning plants.
Mostly, everything is fine with the exception of the air plants, most of them died before I worked out what was killing them. They seem to like being dry for most of the time with only the occasional spraying but the main thing is that no part of the plant touches anything that is permanently wet. Even a tiny end of a spike (or leaf or whatever it is called) will suck up water and rot the plant. I also worked out just how much much bright light and heat they like, so the few that are thriving are the ones right at the top under the main light.
The degree of hairiness is a good indicator, all the grey tomentose ones like to dry out between waterings and are drought tolerant, they don't tend to have a central "vase". If you can find ones with a very shiny leaf and central vase they are more likely to better in the wet. Cryptanthus spp. will grow very wet at the root, but I don't know how good they are will continually wet foliage.
The solerirolia ( if that is what it Is?) is growing rampant and spreading everywhere.
It is, and <"it does">.

cheers Darrel

I am afraid to say I have totally neglected the tank over the last few months!
It lives up in my attic room where we spend most of the winter but hardly ever go up there in the summer.
Anyway the baby tears stuff has just taken over and shaded many of the other plants into submission.
Matters not though as I have learned a lot and I have plans for a rescape very soon.

Attachments

• C8E32857-53C8-4DCE-83BC-6C6BD3BC5AC5.jpeg
    C8E32857-53C8-4DCE-83BC-6C6BD3BC5AC5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 324
Back