• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Strange cycle behaviour

Brad Griffiths

Seedling
Hi,

I am in the middle of setting up a nano planted aquarium. I’ve used 30% fresh dechlorinated water, 70% cycled aquarium water from one of my tanks. The setup is currently hardscape only as I am waiting for the cycling period to finish before I finalise the setup.

It has been filled up for three days now. Filter is on its way in the post, so for now there is just an air stone to circulate the water.

It started a bacteria bloom (wasn’t expecting one as I was using 70% cycled water), but decided id sit it out until it has finished cycling.

I come home from work today to find there’s a strange algae appearing on the glass and the water to be very yellow (the wood is releasing tannins but very very minimal so i’m putting the colouring down to the algae bloom), yesterday the water was slightly murky but colour wise was clear.

Is there anything I can do to help speed up the process, and what may have caused the bloom to happen as I am using a lot of cycled aquarium water. The filter will be here in a few days which will help.

I’ve attached some photos, thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 358A735E-6328-45CB-A49A-229151EA7C1A.jpeg
    358A735E-6328-45CB-A49A-229151EA7C1A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 182
  • 35B3679F-4A07-4D72-A32F-A80A4533EE73.jpeg
    35B3679F-4A07-4D72-A32F-A80A4533EE73.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 152
Hi
Most of the bacteria in matured tank is settled on the various surfaces arround the tank(Substrate,filter,hardscape,plants....)Very little is free floating.Adding water from a matured tank will have very little benefit at starting new one.Better add handfull of substrate ,few stones,plants or filter medium and fill with clean fresh water.Old tank water is in many cases poluted(not only fish waste but algae spores etc etc) if anything
Regards Konsa

Unfortunately it isn’t. I am using white sand and it was trickle filled, the tank was crystal clear until this bloom happened.

Really appreciate all the feedback. This morning the algae has multiplied. Still murky, seems to be an orange “dust” (??) that’s settled on everything in the tank, including on the white sand.

Hi all,
No chemicals added other than dechlorinator and water from one of my aquariums that has been running for about 4 years.
Good, you can just plant the aquarium up and then transfer some filter material from your other tank. As the others have said there aren't many micro-organisms actually in the water, they are mainly in bio-films attached to surfaces.

Often people are worried about losing nitrification if they don't continually supply ammonia, but this isn't a valid concern.

Some <"floating plants"> and quick growing stems are really useful during establishment

As soon as the plants are growing they will add stability.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,Good, you can just plant the aquarium up and then transfer some filter material from your other tank. As the others have said there aren't many micro-organisms actually in the water, they are mainly in bio-films attached to surfaces.

Often people are worried about losing nitrification if they don't continually supply ammonia, but this isn't a valid concern.

Some <"floating plants"> and quick growing stems are really useful during establishment

As soon as the plants are growing they will add stability.

cheers Darrel

Oh brilliant! I’ll take some java fern out of one of my current tanks to get the bacteria to build up until my plants are delivered. Do you suggest I do daily water changes or leave it?

Brad

Hi
I would switch the lighting off till you get some cycling plants!;)
hoggie

Yeah I decided to leave the lights off this morning, i’ll be taking some established plants out of one of my aquascapes to get some more bacteria growing!

Thanks

Brad

Bacterial blooms can be rather common in not yet fully established aqaurium. It even can occur in aqauriums already running for months.. Last i experienced it myself with after 6 months of running. Whit adding some dewormer from Sera that is deluted with Ethanol. After adding this carbon source within no time it triggered a bacterial bloom coloring the water milky.. Not long there after i noticed a burgundy red velvet substance growing on the wood.
It looked like an algae, but i guess it was only a biofilm reacting, accumulating and coloring, this biofilm is always present usualy thin enough not to be seen with our naked eye.

Water changes in general do not help much, soon after the water colors milky again.. This because as long there is a food source available the bacteria can multiply by the millions in hours time. Once the food source is depleted they die as fast as the can multiply than the numbers fall back to normal. Best is to have patience and wait for the party to end on its own devices.
:)

Bacterial blooms can be rather common in not yet fully established aqaurium. It even can occur in aqauriums already running for months.. Last i experienced it myself with after 6 months of running. Whit adding some dewormer from Sera that is deluted with Ethanol. After adding this carbon source within no time it triggered a bacterial bloom coloring the water milky.. Not long there after i noticed a burgundy red velvet substance growing on the wood.
It looked like an algae, but i guess it was only a biofilm reacting, accumulating and coloring, this biofilm is always present usualy thin enough not to be seen with our naked eye.

Water changes in general do not help much, soon after the water colors milky again.. This because as long there is a food source available the bacteria can multiply by the millions in hours time. Once the food source is depleted they die as fast as the can multiply than the numbers fall back to normal. Best is to have patience and wait for the party to end on its own devices.
:)

That’s very strange, I don’t usually have blooms as I use pre established media and things but I’ve never had an algae or bacteria bloom like this! Thankyou for the help, I’ll have to sit this one out and hope it dies off; may add some ramshorn or pond snails for the time being to help eat the bio film off the wood!

Thanks

Brad

That’s very strange, I don’t usually have blooms

Me neither, the one i wrote about was one of the few i ever witnessed, this one was 4 years ago.. And it was in a tank that i thought was pretty stable running. Aquariums are just small entities with a ton of different paramters in play.. Each one is different on its own.. Who can tell or predict, nobody else than the aqaurium itself and it doesn't speak in words. It often speaks in riddles without conclusive answers.. :)

Me neither, the one i wrote about was one of the few i ever witnessed, this one was 4 years ago.. And it was in a tank that i thought was pretty stable running. Aquariums are just small entities with a ton of different paramters in play.. Each one is different on its own.. Who can tell or predict, nobody else than the aqaurium itself and it doesn't speak in words. It often speaks in riddles without conclusive answers.. :)

Brilliant way to look at it! Almost makes me feel sorry for my aquarium now though!

Hi Brad
You could always squeeze the filter sponge/wool from the established tank into the new set-up!
It may be a tad unsightly, but this will get the good bacteria up and running quicker on the hardscape surfaces and on the glass!
hoggie

Hi Brad
You could always squeeze the filter sponge/wool from the established tank into the new set-up!
It may be a tad unsightly, but this will get the good bacteria up and running quicker on the hardscape surfaces and on the glass!
hoggie

Brilliant idea. I’m not too fussed about the aesthetics at the moment as everything is a tad... orange! I’ll post an updated photo when I finish work but I’m definitely going to drop some filter media in the tank!

Thanks

Brad

Back