• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aponogeton Crispus.

Sarpijk

Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying said plant for my low tech 60 cm tank. I read online that it tents to get huge and I don't want it to smother my tank.

How should I presume?

Maybe give some thought to A. natans (below back right) it never really gets that big in my tanks, and throws out floating leaves as well, and flowers regularly...although I suspect the ones I've had were probably A. natans/A. ulvaceus hybrids. Anyway it's not that apparent in this shot but its immersed leaves are fairly similar to A crispus - wavy and delicate.
detaildropchecker_zpse31359b0.jpg

I'd be surprised, if you can obtain "true" Aponogeton natans, since it is really not very usefull in a tank. It produces allmost no leaves under water, but goes straight to surface.
There are numerous hybrids, from A. natans, though - usually producing leaves under water with more or less curly leaves. Those hybrids could very well be traded as A. natans, I suppose. Size will be unpredictable, depending on which other parent is involved.
- as for A. crispus, the size makes it a possible choise for a 60 cm. tank. It will be a bit "dominant", though. It is possible to continuously trim away the largest of leaves, this way holding the plant back in size a little. A. crispus will flower very easily, once established, usually with white, fragrant flowers.
IF you can find Aponogeton robinsonii (and I think it will be difficult), this is a rather small species, flowering very freely (white, scented flowers). Aponogeton capuroni is also a quite small species, having very beautifull, strongly curled leaves.

I have planted an Aponogeton Crispus since last January. So far so good it has already produced three flower stalks. What I don't like is the fact that it is only producing surface leaves. I would like it to be fuller under the surface. Any way to train it to behave so?

I have planted an Aponogeton Crispus since last January. So far so good it has already produced three flower stalks. What I don't like is the fact that it is only producing surface leaves. I would like it to be fuller under the surface. Any way to train it to behave so?

I think the only way is injecting co2 gas. It is wanting to get to the surface for a reason.....

Hi
With Apogetons when they get too big U can trim all leaves off to give them a restart.
It is stresfull to the plant but it does help to keep them in check before the pick up momentum again.Other thing U can do is to try to contain the roots in container that will alow some flow hiden in substrate that works for Cryprocorine too when U want smaller plants. A bit like bonsai underwater.
Regards Konsa

Hi , thanks Konsa. What if I just trim all or most of the surface leaves. Will it encourage more underwater leaves? I have read this happens with tiger lotus lily .

Back