• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spray bar and pipe paint

SRP3006

Anybody know or used a fish/shrimp safe paint for painting my fx6s pvc-u spray bar?
It's grey pipe but I'm thinking it would be hidden better if it was black.

PVC contains plastifiers, this is the major problem maker for durably painting it. I general a painter will say for paiting PVC that is situated outdoors, which is the most common question, to wait at least 1 year if it is new PVC. Than after cleaning you still need a primer for plastic first than paint it. With the correct primer the finish will never realy be the problem.

In your case i wouldn't go through the hassle painting it. Google for black Heat Shrink Tube in the correct diameter. Shrink that over the tube and cut/dril open the holes again. It will be permanently black after that and willl never damage.

Than if you still have a piece of grey end cap showing, use a black permanent marker for that.

If you insist on painting, i guess a black bumber spray from the automotive industry is a good option. Most modern car bumpers are PVC. Once the paint is fully cured it most likely will be inert.

Last edited:
PVC contains plastifiers, this is the major problem maker for durably painting it. I general a painter will say for paiting PVC that is situated outdoors, which is the most common question, to wait at least 1 year if it is new PVC. Than after cleaning you still need a primer for plastic first than paint it. With the correct primer the finish will never realy be the problem.

In your case i wouldn't go through the hassle painting it. Google for black Heat Shrink Tube in the correct diameter. Shrink that over the tube and cut/dril open the holes again. It will be permanently black after that and willl never damage.

Than if you still have a piece of grey end cap showing, use a black permanent marker for that.

If you insist on painting, i guess a black bumber spray from the automotive industry is a good option. Most modern car bumpers are PVC. Once the paint is fully cured it most likely will be inert.
Thank you that's a really good suggestion. I have used shrink tubing on my fishing rods for years and stands up to a lot of abuse (weather, bait, fish etc) so that could be the perfect solution. Do you know if algae would go on it/become a problem as scrubbing shrink tubing has never worked in my experience.

Doesn't hurt to try it, easier to remove shrink tube than paint

Back