• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

For the Start is dark and full of terrors

Hi
The filter looks good.I imagine will polish the water very well.Do not worry about how much surface for biological bacteria U have on them.The bacteria will colonise all surfaces of your tank.Most of your filtration will be carried out by your plants and the substrate arround them.Just keep the flow good.Do U know the sponges what ppi rating they have? How often do U have to clean them?
Regards Konsa

ppi is 30
not sure about the cleaning, i hope it's going to be very rare

can i ask you to check the video i uploaded, if you'll have the time for it? post 34
i would need some advice on the position of the lily pipes and the flow in the tank

Last edited:
ppi is 30
not sure about the cleaning, i hope it's going to be very rare

can i ask you to check the video i uploaded, if you'll have the time for it? post 34
i would need some advice on the position of the lily pipes and the flow in the tank

I did already.Checked your diagram too.
They seem positioned well enough. Quite a few people position them at opposite corners blowing lenght wise to create circular flow.Your background seems on an angle and you as far as I can see have pulled the back corner one a bit so is not blowing in it.
Im getting it right.The only issue is that your tank footprint is big and U may need stronger pumps to achieve the flow U need and reduce any dead spots with insufficient circulation..It looks ok on video but if the plants are telling U different you need to listen to them.
Regards Konsa

So here is what I'm gonna do:

1. Elevating the lamps to 45 cm. Turning off one lamp. Lighting - 15:00 - 20:30
2. Water changes every other day 300 liters, until diatomes gone. After that at least once a week.
3. Increase the second pump to 2000 l/h. So I will have 4000 l/h.
4. CO2 a lot.

When things getting better, I will replant indica, guyana and anubias petite.

Let me know if you have any more advice.

I'll keep you posted!

So here we are at day 20, just for reference (nice diatome planting - can I sell this somewhere? i'd be rich)

46645820712_d82ec3b0cc_b.jpg
DSC_1328 by Bence Tóth, on Flickr

45973852684_16bb63c11e_b.jpg
DSC_1329 by Bence Tóth, on Flickr

46645820942_e1562f853f_b.jpg
DSC_1330 by Bence Tóth, on Flickr

Hi
It sounds like a good plan.The stringy diatoms should be removed (kept in check)easy with a tooth brush.While unsightly they are not hardcore algae to deal with and will go in time
Regards Konsa

Hi
It sounds like a good plan.The stringy diatoms should be removed (kept in check)easy with a tooth brush.While unsightly they are not hardcore algae to deal with and will go in time
Regards Konsa

will do it today

do you think I should trim the rotalas?

Day 75

Patience is the key...

After a lot of struggle (and a lot of help from you) I think I'm on the good track.

In a few weeks I went from this:
46027667015_7b86a8f9a2_b.jpg
DSC_1346 by Bence Tóth, on Flickr

to this:
33517627888_3bbce0283f_b.jpg
DSC_1492 by Bence Tóth, on Flickr

What a journey!

I tried blackout - did not work. Than I treated the monstrous diatom algae with liquid carbo. I used a syringe to treat it directly on the algae. In a week or so the staghorn and the diatome was gone.
In the same time I bought 100 pcs amano shrimp, 10 flying fox, 6 oto. They do their job.
I dose 20 ml liquid carbo every day since. Maybe it's not necessary anymore?

As the highpriest of "forget the test kits!" @ceg4048 tought me - I forgot the test kits. I dose macro based on EI, but adjust the levels as the plants are talking to me. Please call me "plant whisperer" from now on...

So here we are now:

46670492834_f4f7873453_b.jpg
DSC_1489 by Bence Tóth, on Flickr

47340886442_4fa71fe7cc_b.jpg
DSC_1490 by Bence Tóth, on Flickr

Monte Carlo is awesome! I cannot even cut it - it's so dense!

33517627888_3bbce0283f_b.jpg
DSC_1492 by Bence Tóth, on Flickr

46670502344_5bed746352_b.jpg
DSC_1494 by Bence Tóth, on Flickr

47340871972_a8ede8b1a3_b.jpg
DSC_1495 by Bence Tóth, on Flickr

47340872842_ebc4d5ab7e_b.jpg
DSC_1498 by Bence Tóth, on Flickr

Look at the Weeping Moss! I have not trimmed it. Should I?

46670500194_33e093cc81_b.jpg
DSC_1493 by Bence Tóth, on Flickr

As this is my first planted - I know I need a lot to learn, so I have a few questions.

1. As you can see I have GSA. Not good. Should I increase the phosphate as long as it goes away? Or are there any other factors I should consider?
2. What about rotala wallichii? It seems that my shrimps and flying foxes eating the small leaves! Is it normal? Or this shows that sg is not okay with the plant?
3. I would like to add 120-150 neon tetras. How should I proceed with it? (for example: all at a time, or in parts - what water parameters I should check because of the fish - should I change something regarding macro nutrients - etc.)

thanks,
Bence

Haha those plants are not only talking to you; they are singing!! Very nice work.

Small leaves can be eaten by SAE. Once the SAE do their work, I usually move them on. Otherwise they can become bullies.

Haha those plants are not only talking to you; they are singing!! Very nice work.

Small leaves can be eaten by SAE. Once the SAE do their work, I usually move them on. Otherwise they can become bullies.

Thanks! Appreciated your words!

Anyone on the GSA issue?

Back