• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

SDIESEL77 AQUASCAPER 900 DIARY

Now moved from 50% weekly water change to every two weeks and plants seem even happier

f6c061eb4a2f14646fb11cc79abe9103.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Looking super healthy! Love the fish playing chase through the plants.

Ever tried a background? Can’t help feeling the brick wall, distracts from the beauty of the plants. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking super healthy! Love the fish playing chase through the plants.

Ever tried a background? Can’t help feeling the brick wall, distracts from the beauty of the plants. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thx, no never tried but not a big fan of putting posters on the back glass.
Maybe a white sandy film but it'll highlight algea on the glass (of any)

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Here is something new: 3 weeks ago, I introduced a new plant specie in my tank, bought an Anubias Gold.
It looked nice for approximately 5 days and then started to rot.
Not only a week later the plant was fully dead but the brown rot spread on all my other anubias species and eventually after 2 weeks killed 90% of them.
The gold plant was bought in my local shop and was from Dennerle.
I'm planning to contact them...

After 1week:
f76f050e760f392680b41bb25b4afb79.jpg
b3da95ec81db7d9904ff52cc412a19e6.jpg

After 2 weeks:
0ec6ccdfd8f9d82d7a549a490c2d0120.jpg
20281edd89cfac6260f99528270c8c5a.jpg
07f22d3856b6b8cb1bf0ce8049e4c000.jpg

Anubias rot / melt seems common in Anubias when getting used to being submersed.

Generally cut off affected leaves at 1st sign and all being well it’ll come back. That combined with frequent water changes.

Growers are aware of it but know one knows the cause. Not dennerle’s fault I’m afraid.

Last edited:
Ps.

The healthily leaves seem to have a little algae on them so may want to look at that.

An unhealthy plant will be susceptible to disease far easier than an healthy one, stating the obvious here I know!

I’m less convinced that growers have no shared responsibility or that it’s a submerse response

I’ve observed overwhelming Anubias melt in plant shipments over some months, I’d never seen anything like it
While it began with a few leaves falling off, the rhizome also “melted”
(this is less apparent, until one gently squeezes the rhizome and finds that it mushes :eek: )
And it seemed to spread, Anubias leftover from previous shipments (that had been in apparent good health for 2-4 weeks), over the next few days, began to melt as well

Nothing in the shop display tank or shop handling of the Anubias had changed ....

Searching online, I found reports of previous Anubias species melts going back some years - suspicion was some sort of virus, especially as when a newly introduced Anubias melted, and then every established Anubias in the tank subsequently melted as well - and not just leaves falling off, but complete rhizome deterioration

After some time, Anubias were added back to the usual plant supplier order, I’d check each plant carefully - some of these plants were shipping in with slightly droopy leaf/stem or with “soft spots” on the rhizome, they were placed separately and progressed to complete “melt”

In the last year, I’ve only received one order of Anubias barteri var barteri that was affected - after noting one plant with brown stems, I discovered 3 affected plants ... with a bit of handling, all stems showed loose attachment at the rhizome, I removed these from their pots to find soft rhizomes

@SDIESEL77 I suggest thoroughly vacuuming every bit of Anubias debris (including rinsing the filter), large frequent water changes over the weeks, inspect every Anubias plant you have - completely removing any that are the slightest suspect, trim away any affected rhizome + 1cm (if possible) of apparently healthy rhizome, before returning to tank

Again, oase bad quality, sorry for your loss:confused:
This is debatable, I have had this happen on various brands of heaters, hence i do not use heaters on any of my tanks any more (even turned off the one on my Eheim filter now).
The last one this happened too cooked the entire contents of my Rio 125, plants, fish, shrimp! It was from one of the best know brands in the hobby. Temperature sensors are pretty cheap, I would suggest buying one so it turns off the heater at the mains if it gets too warm!

I did buy one for my shrimp tank back in the day, which is still in a cupboard somewhere, I adapted two power outlets into it, one for the heater and one for a fan, it did work pretty well when I used it. all it had in the tank is a little prob to monitor the temp, I guess these could also go wrong! :rolleyes:

Edit: Found a link to it: Controller I used in the past

Found this one fully assembled already ;) Controller on Amazon

Last edited:
Sorry for your fish loss :(

FWIW I’ve always tended to follow Eheim’s recommendations re which heater for what volume

Evolution Aqua suggests a volume of 186 litre for the Aquascaper 900
Eheim 125watt heater is suggested for aquariums of 150-200l

I’d replace that broken 300watt Oase heater with a 125w - 150w heater
I used a 150watt heater on my 240 litre tank for years, the only time it struggled to maintain tank temperature was when room temp was ~56F :oops:
Fish generally survive the gradual temperature drop more easily than the increase from Heaters Run Amok

If tank temperature does drop, it’s recommended to slowly raise temp - turn up the aquarium heater (or in my case, turn on the house heat) rather than adding warmed water
(especially do not add very hot or boiled water)

Back