• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Quick growing moss for low tech

chris521957

Hi all. I will be setting up a low tech Walstad tank in the very near future, but in the meantime i want to start growing on some moss and am at a loss as to which one i should use. I would like a fast grower that is easy to propogate. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks. Chris.

Hi all,
I would like a fast grower that is easy to propogate.
They are all easy to propagate, but they don't all re-attach.

@Hendre's suggestion is probably the <"quickest growing species">, but our native <"Fontinalis antipyretica, Drepanoclados aduncus & Calliergonella cuspidata"> are all quick growers low tech and seem to have survived last years heatwave.

The last time I looked at my <"moss mountain">, it was mainly <"Drepanoclados aduncus">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thanks for that Darrel. I know a couple of local ponds that i might just go and have a look at and try a few different things with anything i can find.

Hi all,
I know a couple of local ponds that i might just go and have a look at and try a few different things with anything i can find
The end of the winter is a good time to look for mosses, before the pond plants grow too much.

If you want to make a modest investment in a book, the <"BBS field guide to mosses and liverworts"> is a good buy. The images <"are here">, but the book is much more useful.

cheers Darrel

I found some terrestrial moss growing on the pavements round the car park at work. Thought i would try to grow it submerged. so i scraped a lump up and put it into 2 tubs with tapwater. It seems to be doing ok, it is pearling a lot, so give it a few weeks to see how it goes, could be a cheap carpet for me.

I realy can't say what it is i only know it's a Taxiphyllum sp. and it grows like a champion in my low techs.

Actualy also have no complains about Fissidens fontanus.. It's a slow starter but once it is established you'll have it forever.

Liverworts in general like to grow aquatic, only thing is it will not grow that compact submersed.. For example emersed it grows very dense with firm leaves like Afro coupe, submersed it elongates and forks (some resambling Ricia).

Not a moss but often sold as such is Lomariopsis cf. lineata.. It's a ferns protalium that grows and spreads realy good in very low light conditions. Looks good as well..

Well, one week in and its doing ok. Stored in small clear plastic food containers, no heat, no ferts, just cold tap water. Not sure what it is but i will see how long it lasts.

Back