• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leave soil out of the package

Fred13

Hello,

I have a silly question but anyway..:)

I want to put the amazonia soil and the additives in the tank and then finish my hardscape. Finishing may take up to 1 month till i am ready to plant and fill it with water.

Is that ok? I guess it is...

Slightly off topic, but you don't really need any of the so called substrate system additives anyway; AS on it's own is fine.

Hello Tim,
Yes i v read that and i am sure that is true. The scape you see in the photo is my last scape and as a substrate i used just tropica plant substrate capped with inert gravel.

I always wanted to test the amazonia substrate system and i bought the products for the first time which arent cheap at all..
That's why i don't want to waste the products by a mistake..
But after your words i will move on by placing the substrate in.

Attachments

• IMG_0528 (1).jpg
    IMG_0528 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
I finally put the substrate system and started to play with the hardscape.

But damn this soil is very soft. I can easily smash it with my hands with no effort. Is that right? I remember prodibio soil that i had to put a decent effort to smash it.

I am also wondering if you can "overdose" with power sand. I think that i put too much in the area i am going to plant (more than 2 cms). Is that ok?

Hi
U don't need to worry about the power sand.
I had it the past more than 10cm deep
Regards Konsa

Hi
U don't need to worry about the power sand.
I had it the past more than 10cm deep
Regards Konsa
thank you,

Is the soil so soft? Its the first time i am using AS soil. It is soft i can easily break it in my hands.
Is this normal?

Hi
It shouldn't be very soft but yes it will get crumbled between your fingers with some pressure aplied.
There was one case in here that the soil turned to silt shortly after flooding.Bad batch I suppose.But thats the only time I have heard of it.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/ada-aqua-soil-amazonian-turned-to-dust.51724/
Sorry if I made U paranoid now.
Put some in a glass of water to test it
Regards Konsa

Hi
It shouldn't be very soft but yes it will get crumbled between your fingers with some pressure aplied.
There was one case in here that the soil turned to silt shortly after flooding.Bad batch I suppose.But thats the only time I have heard of it.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/ada-aqua-soil-amazonian-turned-to-dust.51724/
Sorry if I made U paranoid now.
Put some in a glass of water to test it
Regards Konsa

I v seen this topic yes ..
I will do the glass of water test. It doesn't break in my hands if I for example shake it , it needs some pressure but little .
I remember prodibio being so hard .
I have another batch that I can open to compare .

As for humidity I put on the soil plastic bags for food and spray them . I believe that this works for keeping the humidity for the soil without making it wet .
I believe I will be able to plant in about two weeks ..

Hello,

I mist the soil every other day. Not much but just to keep it a little bit moistured. Am i doing right or it doesnt worth the effort?

Not sure it's work the effort. Plenty of others have left it in a tank without misting for months at a time with no ill effect upon filling.

Not sure it's work the effort. Plenty of others have left it in a tank without misting for months at a time with no ill effect upon filling.
I need 2 to 3 weeks to be able to buy all the plants i need and start the tank so yes.. it doesnt worth the effort. I think that is a waste of time. Soil will be just fine...

Hey guys just wondering if the same can apply to tropica soil. Is it fine just to leave it exposed to the air?

Thanks!

Back