• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Advice please

neonplanet40

Apologies for my awful scape. I'm not very creative....

What do you guys think? 20190220_210725.jpg 20190220_210717.jpg 20190220_210706.jpg

Definitely a lot more height as Oscar said, just think how big the plants will be and as it is they'll just take over and hide most of that

Either more stone or use the substrate to raise everything up in the middle, I've got loads of spare lava rock if you need any to build up under the soil

Oh and the sharp cut edges don't look the most natural so try playing about with different sides to see what you like best

neonplanet40

Apologies for my awful scape. I'm not very creative....
You said it not me, I fully agree with what you have said.

Next step is going to be something new and exciting for you.
It's Research and plenty of it.
Here is a starting point.
https://www.google.com/search?q=aqu...2MvgAhUCcCsKHaOhCTAQ_AUIDigB&biw=1024&bih=526

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i24.7z6xCMBAeE8

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i30j0i5i30.0RdwCTBfGus

Make a mock tank and practice with all the hardscape you will have to collect.
It can be made using a cardboard just make sure its the same size as your tank. You can also use the substrate you have.
0A%20A%20Box%20Aquascape%20mock%20Tank%20_edited-1.jpg

Keith:wave::wave:

Thanks folks. I shall have another bash tonight and try not to embarrass myself again :D
Not embarrassing, seeking to learn and improve. Knowing your limitations and asking for guidance is a great way of getting a scape that you are happy with.
Stick with it, like others have said height/larger rocks will improve things massively, then working on presenting the most natural faces of the rocks will give a softer feel.
I always find root wood a great hardscape material to use as 9 times out of 10 a good piece of wood has done the hard work for you, rock arranging can be more difficult, but again picking interesting stones helps initially.

Cheerio,

Thanks folks. I shall have another bash tonight and try not to embarrass myself again :D

Like i mentioned before mate, have a look at my first journal on here if you want a proper giggle. If you don't make progress then you're not listening and learning and we all have to start somewhere.

You don't jump in a go kart for the first time and expect to keep pace with Lewis Hamilton (although some clearly do).

Don't forget to enjoy it as you go and don't stress about getting it 'right' :thumbup:

I'm 100% no expert but I would agree that I think it needs a bit more height with the tank you have.

Take my advice with a pinch of salt as I'm a complete beginner and was just my opinion (my hardscape is in my profile pic).

Lovely tank and good luck!

Like i mentioned before mate, have a look at my first journal on here if you want a proper giggle. If you don't make progress then you're not listening and learning and we all have to start somewhere.

You don't jump in a go kart for the first time and expect to keep pace with Lewis Hamilton (although some clearly do).

Don't forget to enjoy it as you go and don't stress about getting it 'right' :thumbup:

Some more attempts. Will be hard to get more height without building it up with some kind of epoxy. And if I do that, it will be hard to make it look natural. Thoughts welcome though! 20190222_184050.jpg 20190222_184056.jpg 20190222_184247.jpg 20190222_184251.jpg 20190222_184346.jpg

Gotcha. I shall have another play. I've been tinkering a bit. I'm used to a reef tank. Where aquascaping involves flat sand and stable rock that won't move when the tank is up and running. :p

Building mounts of dirt wasn't a thing in a reef tank :p to me, mound of dirt equates to a potentially unstable scape. Haha.

But, I'm gonna try!

neonplanet40
20190222_184050-jpg.jpg

Neon%2023.2.19%20_edited-2.jpg

That is a massive improvement but still a log way to go before you can say it's the best that can be done with what I have.

Tall tanks are far from easy to get an excellent aquascape. You have to have height to show it off.
My suggestion would be build the back corner up and slope it towards the front LH corner.

With that tall rock have the face facing the front LH corner.

The tall rock will require supporting if not you could easily have a broken tank. My suggestion would be use the front centre triangular rock to support it. The base of the triangle can be pushed up against the tall rock, then have the top pointing towards the front LH corner.

Once you have done that its just a matter of positioning one or two of the smaller rocks.

neonplanet40,

20190223_154322-jpg.jpg

Great you now have height with that big rock well done.
I prefer this set up main reasons, it looks very natural and not cluttered around the base of the tall rock

I would still prefer a level substrate at the front it would give you a smoother eye flow across the front.

My advice now would be level the front and prepare for your planting.

It depends on what sort of look you're going for but judging by what you've achieved so far, I think perhaps you need bigger supporting rocks that are more in scale with the larger one.

Back