• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question regarding shrimp breeding, in a controlled space.

DutchMuch

Here is my idea, please tell me if it is possible, if so, any products out there? (US)

My tank is my 40b, i have wild type shrimp all in it, mixes of mixes, etc. Some though are pure cherries or pure yellow shrimp.
I'd like to kind of clear the colors out a bit, so i can just have something to do on the side for experiments and fun etc.
Would i be able to get one of those little breeder boxes and use those to breed (example) 2 specific shrimp? or a small group of shrimp in that little box? Are their any other products out their like this?

Thanks!

The babies will probably escape the parts and mingle with everyone else. Honestly I'd just get more tanks for this :)

No more space available?
that'd be correct! + i like the idea of a small little hob breeder anyway just to have one. Im talking small as in around 5x5 inches or less/more

i was looking at this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QRDF4K/ref=twister_B00Q4PKI7A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
upload_2019-2-14_13-42-35.png

Maybe fitting dividers inside the tank would be an option?

In this type of setup pointless to spend $$ on any pure line - you will get cross breeding
Check Shrimpspot forum for relevant discussions

In this type of setup pointless to spend $$ on any pure line - you will get cross breeding
Check Shrimpspot forum for relevant discussions
im not worried about getting pure lines.

I said this previously, its just a "for fun" thing. And for future use if needed.

Would i be able to get one of those little breeder boxes and use those to breed (example) 2 specific shrimp? or a small group of shrimp in that little box? Are their any other products out their like this?

Yes, the breeder boxes that draw and circulate water from the main tank will work for a small group of shrimp or two adults to start a colony. Pick your breeders well and read a bit on genetics to help you choose the ones with the best possible outcome. Putting moss in the breeder box with a tiny layer of sand for substrate works really well for them to feel comfy and breed.

Yes, the breeder boxes that draw and circulate water from the main tank will work for a small group of shrimp or two adults to start a colony. Pick your breeders well and read a bit on genetics to help you choose the ones with the best possible outcome. Putting moss in the breeder box with a tiny layer of sand for substrate works really well for them to feel comfy and breed.
I highly thank you for the answer, thank you vm! :bookworm::thumbup:

Back