• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help - plants melting noob

Bopowarls

Hi everyone,

New to all this aquascaping. My first tank has been coming along nicely over the last 2 months. However, this week my plants seem to be melting alot more and the green luscious plants are starting to turn more brown. Not too sure what to change. My set up hasn't changed at all so don't know why it's happening.

Tank - fluval edge 23l
Lights - stock leds
Light on - 10 hours
Ferts - squirt tropica premium nutrition per day
Carbon - easy carbo 1ml per day
Life - 10 sakura yellow shrimp plus a few babies
Maintenance - 40%/30 water change every 5 / 6 days

I have no idea why the plants are starting to melt as they've been ok. Want to try and sort it out before it gets worse. Any suggestions?

Attached some photos but don't think it captured the problem too well as I don't have a comparison.

20190211_191131.jpg
20190211_191155.jpg
20190211_191049.jpg
20190211_191155.jpg
20190211_191131.jpg
20190211_191103.jpg

I haven't used liquid carbon, so can't comment on this. I have, however, found that Co2 injection using a fire extinguisher and a regulator/ solenoid works well. I bought my regulator & solenoid from China for the princely sum of 22 pounds and use old fire extinguishers as a source of Co2 (10 pounds every three months for a 60cm tank). I chose this approach as I felt it gave me more control over the availability of Co2 for growth and is cost effective - as well as being good for the environment (we are using a waste product that would have otherwise have just been vented to add to green house gasses). There are a number of alternative approaches described on the forum - many of which may be less time consuming and more effective than liquid carbon. There are also plenty of people running fantastic planted tanks without additional co2.

I thought, however that you seem to have quite a bit of algae on the plants which will inhibit growth. I would suggest increasing the diversity of your 'clean up crew' to include snails and ottos and a twinstar (to add o2 and for it's potential impact on algae). I couldn't quite see what type of algae you have and thought it may be cyanobacteria (Blue Green Algae). This could indicate wider issues with Co2, fertilizer or light duration. There are lots of posts on the forum (even a whole section on algae) in which more knowledgeable people than me have provided guidance and advice and should be able to help you diagnose the problem and resolve it.

Lights for 10 hours seems a lot to me most have between 6-8 and the tropica ferts are possibly not enough sounds like the plants have used there reserves and are now with out enough ferts to grow to keep up with the light period there looks like a large plant mass for a small tank and as they grow need more food up ferts maybe look at tnc from aquarium gardens and lower the light period to start

First thing that comes to mind is the lighting period, I would cut it down to 6 1/2 hours and up the maintenance to 75-80% water change per week minimum.

Pay attention to cleaning the substrate, gently using a turkey baster is good to loosen the detritus.

Thanks everyone. I've ordered some TNC complete so will give that a go.

I've reduced my lighting to 7 hours.

I'll do a heavy water change 1 per week minium and maybe a smaller percentage mid week.

I'll also do a better job of cleaning the gravel

If anyone else can provide any tips please let me know!

Thanks for the posts. The plants are lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae, sagittaria subulata, marsilea hirsuta, HC Cuba.

Well something has actually changed hasn't it? You have more plants. Therefore more "mouths" to feed. Try an extra squirt of ferts every other day for a week or two. Careful not to change many things at once. If you do, you won't know what works. Since it's your first planted tank, it may be useful to develop a deep understanding of what effect your actions have. After a while, it will be second nature.

Hi Mihai thanks for the information. All taken on and will try not to change to move to quickly.

The plants haven't changed since I planted them 2 months ago. They had been growing really well until last week.

If there growing things have changed there getting bigger there for require more food up ferts lower lights for a month see how you go

Cheers all, I've no upped the ferst and lowered lights. I'm also going to be making the step into pressurized Co2 and have all the bits on order for a FE set up.

Well significant difference after lowering lighting to 7 hours and upping ferts.

Thank you everyone.

Just waiting for a few bits and then I'm going to set up a pressurised co2 system and see how much better it can get.

Cheers,
Owen

Glad thing are improving we are here to help each other and are all learning everyday is a school day

If you set up the co2, you'll need to up lighting and ferts again... the limiting factor to plant growth was your ferts, its now co2, so by setting up the co2 system you need to up lighting and ferts to match... does that make sense?

by setting up the co2 system you need to up lighting and ferts
Ferts yes, lights no.
CO2 will allow to increase lighting but not necessitate it. CO2 and low light works very well, it will optimize growth for the light that is available, ferts need to be adjusted to the plant growth ( ADA works with lower light and lean ferts)

Ferts yes, lights no.
CO2 will allow to increase lighting but not necessitate it. CO2 and low light works very well, it will optimize growth for the light that is available, ferts need to be adjusted to the plant growth ( ADA works with lower light and lean ferts)
Thanks, most of you know I don't use co2, so my knowledge is limited... I just wanted to flag this so bopowarls doesn't get an algae farm!

Agreed don't pump your lights back to 10 hrs just cause you have co2 Slow and steady is the name of the game 6hrs Is good till all is mature and on track

Well its been incredible to see the difference now with the lights down. Really appreciate the support. I didn't think I had much of an algae problem until I've made these changes and the difference is huge. Makes my weekly deep clean so much easier!

No yet set up the Co2 but when I do I'll leave the lights as is and tweek accordingly.

I have now bought TNC complete plant food. Should I use that instead of the tropica stuff I have or use both?

Back