• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Azalea root aquarium safe?

stephentw

Can anyone reassure me, I impulse bought some of the above, its got an aqua one label on it so I assumed would be fine.

When I got home and researched how to prepare it for my tank I read loads of horror story reviews saying its toxic and has turned tank water so brown they can't see the fish.

So I'm a bit worried now. Should I take it back or is there a proper way to safely prepare it for use?

A vast majority of wood sold as 'spiderwood' and similar is Azalea root.
Most woods will leach some tannins so soak it in a tub of water, changing the water daily if you can then when you add it to your tank run some carbon in the filter which should help clean things up a bit.

OK great, panic over. Thanks for the help.

Should I soak it in warm or boiling water or is cold fine?

Wont carbon remove the nutients the plants need?

cold in fine, it will probably produce some mold, which is temporally and quite harmless, but nicer in a bucket than in your tank.
In my experience the tannins released by spiderwood are not that bad, a regular water change will be enough to keep your water clear.

Thanks, it's soaking. No slime as yet I dont think but it's only been overnight. Wonder how long it'll take to form. And more to the point how long before it sinks!

I never seem to get the slime before adding the wood to the tank... presumably there are nutrients in the tank water that trigger it...

Well I gave up and put it in the tank. Not noticed any ill effects yet. Other than my Java Moss wriggling free of the nylon I used to tie it on.

Back