• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Safe to use Glue gun to stick wood?

Harry H

Is it safe to use glue gun to secure wood? The packaging of the sticks don't say anything about what's in them. Anyone used before?

20190209_213110.jpg 20190209_213120.jpg

Yes. We tried this with hot melt and got about half a dozen burns. You're better off using cool melt. Both will come loose under water, so are best avoided. Another option would be an epoxy putty like Milliput, but you would need to let this cure completely before it is safe to add to the aquarium.

I will try to use the glue gun and let it set, because wood is not in the tank yet, I am hoping to get it cured long enough to make it stick. I only need to glue one piece but it is on an angle and otherwise would move out of place very easy.
To give you a bit of context, here is how the scape looks so far.
20190209_131157.jpg

It might keep it in place long enough to hold it down while it soaks and becomes less buoyant. But it will probably work its way loose pretty quickly. The problem is that mini landscape rock is quite dusty, and the wood will undoubtedly expand once wet, and hot glue is fairly rigid once set, so over all it doesn't make for a particularly good permanent bond. That's why you need a bonding substance which is either flexible and/or can bond through loose particles, like the AS and superglue method.

I write from personal experience...

36733874516_d0147e578f_b.jpg

Back