• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape First attempt.....

Trevor C

My very first hardscape attempt. All comments, criticism, suggestions etc gratefully received...

XfeOoB7.jpg

XvDeP6P.jpg

Not convinced by the double rock in the foreground. But not sure this is any better either....

pd991G8.jpg

Hi
It looks good.I really like the height of the hardscape.
Having said that.Have a thought how U are gonna get your hands in for maintenance.Try to keep away form wood touching the glass too
Regards Konsa

Trevor

Trevor%208.2.19%20%20_edited-1.jpg

Over all your wood is very good and well positioned. Rocks various shapes and sizes all with plenty of character.

Only one concern the positioning of a few of them. My main reason for suggesting these moves is there is not a good field of view by that I mean smaller as they proceed to the rear of the tank.

Rocks
1. Well positioned
2. Swap with 6
3. Well positioned
4. Remove
5. OK

All these changes might not be perfect at least its a start if you decide my suggestions can you post a photo but this time from the front as you are looking at it please

Keith:wave::wave:

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

Keith - I’ll have a shuffle as you suggest and post another picture, although 3 & 4 are a single rock, not separate. It looks like 2 as it has a dip/scoop in the middle and is partially buried.

just a thought mate, snip off an inch from the branches near the glass or maybe more if you plan on growing moss. this will help when it comes to maintenance/ cleaning.

Trevor

OK a rethink.

Remove 6 and replace it with 5
Can you remove 2 back and to the right a little so it's just behind that log?

I am thinking about rock 3/4 and rock 1. I will wait till i hear from you.
Its extremely easy to move the rocks but explaining it is a lot harder. I might be able with a very rough photo shop

I agree with soggybongo re trimming those twiggy pieces. Do it slowly as its very hard putting the cut off piece back.

Ok, branches trimmed, took the hammer to the big foreground rock and shuffled things around for ages but just couldn't get anything I was happy with. I will be taking a trip to Aquarium Gardens in the morning and will purchase a few more rocks to give me more options. In the meantime, I'm wondering whether a complete change of direction might be better with a full-on tringular/diaganol style.....

OLg9HvOh.jpg

ajeEU9qh.jpg

3Cw3lUch.jpg

Trevor

Its great to see you are slowly working towards getting the best hardscape you can with what materials you have.
A big concern is the two twig pieces pointing to the front corners. Supporting them will not be easy once you work that out the remainder will be very easy.

This attempt falls into the most common concern. The three rocks are very carefully placed in a very neat curve this makes the front of your hardscape uninteresting.

Having a large rock front RH is excellent then the small rocks at the back a good idea but in your case those rocks will be hidden with the plants.

Substrate looks rather flat I have suggested a height to try roughly 10-15 cm what ever works the best.

Trevor%2010.2.19%20_edited-1_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back