• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

600ppm of Kalium?

Kuojne

Seedling
Hello everyone.

I used Giesemann's Potassium test kit for testing K in my tank water.. In case you don't know how the test works - you have to add 1ml of fuild 1 to fluid 2 and how much of fuild 1 was needed to change the sample's colour from yellow to blue gives the potassium content..

So basically if 0.7 ml was needed that gives a level of 325 K in mg/l.. I needed 1.4ml. I think the test kit is mostly used for salt water aquariums, does it have a difference?

Last edited:
It's specifically designed for Salt water and the reason you are reading 325mg/L is because that is the bottom range of this narrow salt water titration test, the range for this test is to measure between a minimum of 325mg/L to a maximum of 425mg/L, a range of 100mg/L. In freshwater you could have anywhere between 0 and 325mg/L and this titration test will only ever show you a reading of 325mg/L.

You would need a narrow range titration kit specifically for freshwater, preferably reading a range of 0mg/L to 100mg/L.

I've never tested for K so I can't recommend a kit, I found there's not much point really as it's pretty easy to find out how much you have from either a tap water report or calculated from whatever you add through fertiliser or remineralisation.

If it's for determining uptake you'll need an as accurate titration test kit as possible. Not an itch I've needed to scratch yet.

Hi all,
I've never tested for K so I can't recommend a kit,
I wouldn't worry about the level of potassium, but if @Kuojne has access to a lab. they can test for kalium/potassium (K) really easily using <"flame photometry"> (or ISE, AAS or ICP), it is one of the easiest of the metals to get accurate results for because of the spectrum of the flame (it burns purple ~ 765nm emission).

@Kuojne do you have a conductivity meter? It won't tell you how much K you have <"but it would give you some idea"> of whether 100's of ppm of K is feasible.

cheers Darrel

Back