• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water conditioner

Dadofthree

Hi guys i have always used Seachem prime for my tap water for the removal of chlorine and cloramine but what about the removal or detoxifying of nitrates and phosphates eg Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and detoxifies ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate
What effects will that have on ferts ect we put in our tanks hopefully not a Scilly question

What effects will that have on ferts ect we put in our tanks hopefully not a Scilly question

Good question. I don't have the correct answer without ''winging it" but I think it has very little effect "if" any on our ferts. But I'm sure Darrel will have the complete answer for us ;)

Thanks Zeus you're always first in with the theory and answer i thank you for that my friend hopefully one day i can return the honour

Hi all,
But I'm sure Darrel will have the complete answer for us
I'm not sure there is a complete answer. We don't know exactly how "Prime" works, because Seachem won't tell you, but Kordon's "Amquel" has a patent and I would be very surprised if the mode of action wasn't similar.
Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and detoxifies ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate
It doesn't remove the fixed nitrogen it just detoxifies the ammonia by binding it in to a non-toxic compound. If you go to the "Removing Chloramine From Water: Chemical Reducing Agents" section of <"Chloramine and the .....">, it is that process. Basically "Prime" etc. don't remove any nitrogen, they just shuffle it into forms less toxic than ammonia (NH3). From the link
The reaction of ammonia with hydroxymethanesulfonate is mechanistically complicated, possibly involving decomposition to formaldehyde and reformation to the product (aminomethanesulfonate; shown below).15 The simplified overall reaction is believed to be:

NH3 + HOCH2SO3- à H2NCH2SO3- + H2O

Even more complicated is the reaction of hydroxymethanesulfonate with chloramine, or chlorine (as Cl2 or HOCl).
What effects will that have on ferts
I don't think it will have any effect on any of the other nutrients we add.

cheers Darrel

I asked a while ago what the effects of water conditioners are on our trace dosing?? Don't recall anyone giving an answer.

You should not dose them on the same day ideally (though must admit I do). Many dechlorinators bind heavy metals which trace ferts obviously contain.

You should not dose them on the same day ideally (though must admit I do). Many dechlorinators bind heavy metals which trace ferts obviously contain.
My theory exactly not a good idea to do large water changes then add your weekly ferts

Back