• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Beginner tank :)

Great lid. I'll be in the market for something too, as I have an enthusiastic 2 year old with lots of plastic dinosaurs!
Thanks thanks!

Yeah a lid will definately be a good idea xd.

But thinking abt it, a scape with dinosaurs toys in could be quite a cool scape !

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Hey nakaKon!

Look really nice for a first tank - congrats!

I am no experto on CO2 yet, the only thing I could say is that I think you should wait few more weeks before adding any fish (including shrimps) to your tank.

If the shrimp "killed" himself means the water parameters are not yet good so, if you can wait a little bit longer before adding anymore shrimps, it would be great :)

Hey nakaKon!

Look really nice for a first tank - congrats!

I am no experto on CO2 yet, the only thing I could say is that I think you should wait few more weeks before adding any fish (including shrimps) to your tank.

If the shrimp "killed" himself means the water parameters are not yet good so, if you can wait a little bit longer before adding anymore shrimps, it would be great :)
Yeah i totally agree with you, I really should have be more patient and add in live stock.
And I also found that I might not be acclimated them enoight b4 I add them in so the sudden change is still pretty big between store water and my tank water.

Learn about this thing call quartine tank as well, so next time when I add in livestock will also try to quartine them for a while before adding them in.

So after a while i think there is so update.

Have been doing the new co2 and light cyxle and now the ph in tank is stabilising, also add in a few shells for decorations and help to increase the hardness of water a bit. Its slow but getting there.

Was planning to get the spotlight fish last week but decide to postpone that till mid feb to really get ensure the environment is alright.

The shrimps are doong pretty well and and are still going around. Found a few transperent shell on the substrate and thought they died and dissolve in the water then realize theybare changing the shells. I think thats normal for shrimp right ?

As can see in the image I did a major clean up of plant to clear out some more space for livstock to travel in on the right side, I quite like how it look now and its certainly less messy then before.

Quite a few snails showing up and now I justvlet them be to help with eating stuff up and I few bad keep getting rid of them.

Also learn about the idea of quartine tank and then read that the recommend size for the quartine tank is 10 gallon lol. Thats is no way i could do that because of lack of space.... Think I will need to come up with some idea on that, I do have a 5 gallon ish tank on the side, think if i am doing quartine that one will be enough i hope?

So thats about it, as usual feel free to comment to let me know your thoughts and point out if i am doing anything wrong :)

Thank you

a65ce04a52d4d87766ce724490e36185.jpg
01ec21e61791c3a98e0291aa8dc9a90a.jpg

I like that you are being patient with buying fish to ensure the environment is stable, that is a good idea.
Shrimp do shed an outer shell when growing so you are correct the transparent outer you found would likely have been this so all good.
I’m a bit like you with snails too, I don’t like killing them as long as they don’t become an infestation. I like seeing them in a tank, some people don’t.
A quarantine tank doesn’t have to be a permanent fixture, a plastic storage container can be used and removed as necessary. Personally I don’t use a quarantine tank, I try to buy good stock but really that is a bit of a lottery :oops:
The tank is looking nice and green by the way :D
Cheerio
Ady

I like that you are being patient with buying fish to ensure the environment is stable, that is a good idea.
Shrimp do shed an outer shell when growing so you are correct the transparent outer you found would likely have been this so all good.
I’m a bit like you with snails too, I don’t like killing them as long as they don’t become an infestation. I like seeing them in a tank, some people don’t.
A quarantine tank doesn’t have to be a permanent fixture, a plastic storage container can be used and removed as necessary. Personally I don’t use a quarantine tank, I try to buy good stock but really that is a bit of a lottery :oops:
The tank is looking nice and green by the way :D
Cheerio
Ady
Thanks thanks!

Yeah the transparent shell freak me out when the first time i saw them.... I am like i never know when shrimp die they ddissolve to water xd

Its really great to see their colour getting more vibrant! Although they hide themsleve very well and bit hard to tell if I keep looking at the same one but all three of them seems to change their shells already !

Planing to get the fish today and put it to quartine for 2 weeks to monitor the fish situation before adding it in. Hope this could also help the fish to get used to the environment!

So another update !

First lets welcome the fish!

Got it on Sunday and now its in quartine tank, manage to set up one using with old gear but the only issue is I have no choice but put it near the window.... Been trying to cover the window bit more to reduce light... Shall see how it goes! The tank is about 5 gallon and i put in some fabric plant and a stone to reduce the water flow from the hang on the back filter, also uding a air pump to pumped in air from time to time as well!

Have not got a name for it yet so will have a good think about it, feeding him kinda twice a day but the shop owner say just feed them once a day and dry food will do, there is no need to feed blood worms as they might carry parasites and might harm the fish. I read a few article online and its really varies on what ppl said, some say they love variation of food and you should chabge type of food from time to time to keep them intrest. Some say they only do one kind of food and it will work all the way. I would love to feed the fish any food he like but I am worry about parasite problem and also, if i feed him those frozen one, one cube will definately be way way way too much for him. I saw there are dried blood worms and to me i just think those are also dried food and it might not taste too different for the fish. Whats are you guys thought on feeding your betta? Or any fish? How often you feed them ? And what type of food you go for ?

Thats the betta fish part done, now move to the tank part :)

Did another clean up today of scrubing the drift wood and remove alot of flooting plant cuz they reallyvstart blocking out the light and some plant are losing colors, I also worry about the oxygen level in there since they might not doing their daily photosynthesis due to the lack of light.

Did a 50 % water change and start dosing supplement to help with plant growth, the water look alot cleaner ! All three red nose shrimp still happyily going around and seems to swim around more after the water change !

Thats about it, today update is more about the fish as i am also qiite new to fish keeping, I did my research but think I still need to learn about, so as usual, any comment and tips are welcome !

Thanks

62f4f946cd5e53ff05f12aba3f7d4086.jpg
9e92c5026c58799fc15a5b79e9b89e13.jpg
cc01eec44b085ef6fdb647a8ab52d758.jpg

Nice Betta!

when it comes to feeding variation is always the best, it balances out the pros and cons of every single food source. Freeze dried is just as fine as frozen and since it floats it may be even better suited for Bettas. Just don't feed to much freeze dried blood worms at once, or let them soak before you feed them. Otherwise the fish may get to much air in to his digestive system. The fish should go directly for the food whenever you feed him, and finish his meal within a minute or so. small meals multiple times a day are larger ones every day or other day are all fine.

Nice Betta!

when it comes to feeding variation is always the best, it balances out the pros and cons of every single food source. Freeze dried is just as fine as frozen and since it floats it may be even better suited for Bettas. Just don't feed to much freeze dried blood worms at once, or let them soak before you feed them. Otherwise the fish may get to much air in to his digestive system. The fish should go directly for the food whenever you feed him, and finish his meal within a minute or so. small meals multiple times a day are larger ones every day or other day are all fine.
Thanks for the tips! The fish have been eatting pretty well, but I am noe bit concern that i dont really see his poop....., i first thought it could be constipation, but the stomach is not bloating or anything and its going straight to the food. I wonder if he just ate his own poop now... Think I might just try the pea method as well to check...

This uodste will be fish base and applogies in advance... I will take it down or edit it if it violate any rules, but i really need help ><

So its the 4th day of my fish arrived the QT. And today when I looked at the tank i found and very small piece of red fin on the bottom of the tank near one of the hard scape. I quickly check and found its from the fish (blue circled area) I also found that the nib of the tail seems to getting bit transparent, i compare to the photo i took earlier and it kinda look the same but I really cant judge if my fish is having some issue. I poured in a 1ml of api melafix as the shop keeper suggest to add for new fish....

He has been eatting fine and swimming around actively, got a bit glass surfing going on but it stop once I turn the tank light off (my room light is quite dim so it could be him fighting his own reflection)

I did suspect that the hang on filter is bit strong so I cut a yourgut cup to slow the water flow down and it seems like helping. I did not fred him today cuz he did not pooped for the last 2 days, and when I back home I found there are some super tiny black dot on the tank bottom so i assume that his poop?

I got some aquarium salt today but havenot put it in yet cuz I am not sure if that the right thing and online the opinion of using aquarium salt is very bipolar... So I am bit confused about what to do.

What should i do now ? Is he sick?

Any comment will be appreciate :)

Thank you

Ps. Is there like another forum thats mainly for fish keeping ? I check the fish keeping sub forum but it seems bit dead.... Not sure if it just my phone not loading thebpost out though...
b793bbfa0da2de8c4142335db45ae924.jpg
0e147c43ddce045c86aaea08ec60037b.jpg
5d3c87ea3456e9a7ea15dc4f94f256f4.jpg
c3bd49e9c4da5bf8fa4c4dc9c2d0f5ca.jpg

Hi
Any damaged fin while regrowing will be transparent and gain colour later.
The little broken fin U marked might be just a mechanical damage don't stress for little things like that.The tank is a bit bare.Try trowing some floaters or stems in it so he has a bit cover to help gim feel a bit more relaxed.Also if you are still running the airstone I will stop that as your filter ads enough oxigenation
Regards Konsa

Hi
Any damaged fin while regrowing will be transparent and gain colour later.
The little broken fin U marked might be just a mechanical damage don't stress for little things like that.The tank is a bit bare.Try trowing some floaters or stems in it so he has a bit cover to help gim feel a bit more relaxed.Also if you are still running the airstone I will stop that as your filter ads enough oxigenation
Regards Konsa

Thanks for replying !

Okie i will be patient and wait ! The tank is bit bare atm cuz it is a quartine tank, I got some almond leave I just put in, i also got a cave kinda thing to put in later so he got more hideout place. I used to use thr airstone but I agree that he got bit stressed up with that so i gonna remove it.

Thank you again for all the advice!

So its been a month, let me update some picture of my tank!

Not much different in plant wise since I start to realise I spend a bit too much recently so just gonna use the old plant in the tank and replant them.

Plant growth js definately alot slower compare to before, and the red plant lose it red already.... Which I might need to get the fert for it but bit hassitate cuz its just that one plant ..... Maybe i should go get some more red plant ?hmm shall think on that..

I also found there are little white worms wriggling arpund in the bottom of the tank or swiming in the water. They are not the flat worm but tiny tiny white worms woth the size of a grain of sand. Search online and seems ppl said they are harmless and just out due to the water is too nutricent, so i did some water changes and it seems like the amount of those white worms are reduce. But still can see them on the glass and swimning though, so if anyone know what to do with them please tell me...

Livestock wise, shrimps are doing fine, bit hard to count them cuz they keep hiding in the plant and move around but roughly still see 7 or 8 in daily basis.

The fish are in the main tank finally! Glad that he did not go for the shrimp but will still curiously go touch them or swim pass them! I now keep the lid on so hope no one will jump out and dried dead.

Thats about it for this update i think! As usual, any comment and suggestions are welcome !

Thanks guys !
0de86a761c441cd7f945213adada6126.jpg
d602ed83db8c6880f62db20c7d26ab37.jpg
0e5b86d30e61428724ac06c7608aad0c.jpg
8ad6cfb22d0f4146000c4fb7c82b8931.jpg
66b5913effea786f424c11f8754872a6.jpg
e58708862b0454d759df4352a9e6ef63.jpg
b17a4efe8063df22c3a833de2c7103d4.jpg

Its getting hotter in here as summer hitting! Usually it gets to 27 or 28 degree Celsius outside now and it will be worse and worse.

Still leaving the heater on just i case tempreture swim but now i set the tempreture to bit lower the 26 so it will not do much till the tempreture in the tanks get too low.

I thought everything is fine.. Until today i came back and saw few dead body of my shrimp alongside some shrimp baby on the bottom of the tank... They all appear white ... Like cooked shrimp white but did not curl up, I quickly go check the thermometer and it showing 27. I check on my betta as well and he is alright.

It seems like my shrimp got cooked but I am not sure if that the case or not... I did not feed my betta today as today is his no food day, so maybe he go nib and try to eat the shrimp? But will dead shrimp turn white though?

I now come with another problem, I got around 10 shrimp in the tank (or less), I had no idea how many of them died and where they hang out is filled with plant, unless I pick all the plant out , I wont be able to search for their bodies. They usually hang out on the right side of the tank, thats where the heater is too. Is it dangerous to place that much plant near the filter?

Will that be alright if I leave them inside ? Just let them decay?will that badly affect the water ? My tank is a 10 gallon tank with eheim compact 60 filter atm. Shall I just turn off the heater and take it out ?

Thanks in advance for any advices

0866934b0d8bace5fa84023ddc0f08c4.jpg

It seems like my shrimp got cooked but I am not sure if that the case or not... I did not feed my betta today as today is his no food day, so maybe he go nib and try to eat the shrimp? But will dead shrimp turn white though?

Your shrimp shed its shell, if it does look like it is translucent or white, and usually split into two portions. I had same thought when I saw same thing in my aquarium for the first time.

I think your shrimp are all fine, and growing nicely. The newly shell shed shrimp would hide for a while, until he is ready, this is normal as well.

Your shrimp shed its shell, if it does look like it is translucent or white, and usually split into two portions. I had same thought when I saw same thing in my aquarium for the first time.

I think your shrimp are all fine, and growing nicely. The newly shell shed shrimp would hide for a while, until he is ready, this is normal as well.
Hi Harry H thanks for replying but no I am sure they were dead... There are flesh inside the shells, and some of them are still red. So I dont think its a change of shell, also I dont see any shrimp seimimg around yet..

Back