• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question regarding Ropefish

huh i did a google search and there were plenty for sale lol...

says they get around 16" max. (inches)

I also read the need a 55g. I wouldnt have mind if they ate my smaller fish, maybe one day ill get another large tank again but most likely not lol. im 20 gallons short!

Ropefish are rather social fish. I would get at least 75g and 3-4 ropes. They really behave different (and less skittish) when kept in a group.
thank you! as said before, will hold off :)

Definitely not a fish for smaller tanks as mentioned above. But they are lots of fun to watch, I keep mine in a 250l.

90 cm is a legend, no scientific information on such a long ropefish. They reach 40 cm easily though, still big fish. They can get used to something around medium-high light over time. I agree that they can destroy scapes easily. Uprooting plants is like a hobby for them. I have to replant some plants weekly. They absolutely love heavily planted tanks, so it's worth the work.
I got my ropefish a bit by chance, but now after 12 years of observing them I adore them completely. They're interacting in fascinating ways and are really clever.

90 cm is a legend, no scientific information on such a long ropefish. They reach 40 cm easily though, still big fish. They can get used to something around medium-high light over time. I agree that they can destroy scapes easily. Uprooting plants is like a hobby for them. I have to replant some plants weekly. They absolutely love heavily planted tanks, so it's worth the work.
I got my ropefish a bit by chance, but now after 12 years of observing them I adore them completely. They're interacting in fascinating ways and are really clever.
i remember your tank, you are the ropefish God haha thank you for the help i appreciate it. I think i am now leaning towards a trio of pearl gourami's.

You can try nano-noodles - kuhli loaches are really cute and you could get 10 of them in a 40b. Not ropefish, but it's something ;)
I own both, and they are both similar!

Have you ever had breeding activity? I have a M/F pair of ropes and P senegalus so I'm curious to see what happens there!

Kuhils are beautiful fish but you probably need 100 to be able to see one!
They must be one of the most elusive fish out there, if there is place to hide they will find it.
There will the odd occasion you do get a glimpse of one with the lights on but don’t expect full daytime activity.
Still having said that, I have always found them irresistible.
The weather loach is another eel shaped fish that I have kept and breed.

Kuhils are beautiful fish but you probably need 100 to be able to see one!
They must be one of the most elusive fish out there, if there is place to hide they will find it.
There will the odd occasion you do get a glimpse of one with the lights on but don’t expect full daytime activity.
Still having said that, I have always found them irresistible.
The weather loach is another eel shaped fish that I have kept and breed.
aight nvm kuhli's are now out of the question >.>

Strange, despite a mop and tubing pile I often see a kuhli out and about. Perhaps their age makes a difference, I adopted the fish at 2-7 years old and they had bred before...

My kuhlis are often out and about too, if I put food in they always show themselves.

I own both, and they are both similar!

Have you ever had breeding activity? I have a M/F pair of ropes and P senegalus so I'm curious to see what happens there!
Ropefish don't really breed in captivity. There are maybe two documented times when they really bred and no records of fry reaching adulthood. That being said... Yes, my ropefish were breeding for some time, my biggest female passed though. They breed only when old enough, mine started being around 8-10 years old. My biggest fry ever was 5 cm long. It passed soon after I took this photo. It's interesting because breeding polypterus is going rather well and ropes are closely related to them.
Z73uQVI.jpg

i wonder why rope babies dont make it long in captivity?
Polypterus larvae are finicky... On another forum a member has great success using tubifex worms for his babies.
Ropefish don't really breed in captivity. There are maybe two documented times when they really bred and no records of fry reaching adulthood. That being said... Yes, my ropefish were breeding for some time, my biggest female passed though. They breed only when old enough, mine started being around 8-10 years old. My biggest fry ever was 5 cm long. It passed soon after I took this photo. It's interesting because breeding polypterus is going rather well and ropes are closely related to them.
Z73uQVI.jpg
Looks like I have a while to wait. Big fry though! Mind sharing some details? I have some sens that may eventually reach maturity :)

Back