• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Raspberry Pi LED light control - help/advice appreciated

Niton

Hi all,
I am currently using a Raspberry Pi based tank controller, using reef-pi software (https://reef-pi.github.io/).

I have been running a fairly simple setup for timers and temperature control for the last 3 months. However, I have recently acquired a Twinstar 600 LED light and I was hoping that someone would be able to give me some assistance on using PWM over the raspberry pi GPIO to enable timer based dimming and brightening of the light (sunrise/sunset).

I have been reading around the official build guide for reef-pi (https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-lighting-controller) and I'm comfortable enough with the concept but I am not sure how the suggested setup could be applied to the Twinstar.

I know there are a few posts covering DIY LED builds and logic controllers for tank automation but I can't see anything that helps me.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Nice to see another ReefPi user :)

I currently only use mine for controlling LED lighting, I need to get round to auto-dosing, timers and temperature control at some point.

First things you need to find out are the voltage and amperage of the power supply for your TwinStar unit, once we know those we'll be able to find a PWM solution :)

So 12v 3a will be a constant voltage driver.

I use a 5a version of this driver, which accepts a 10v PWM signal as an input and dims the output accordingly. At the time of my build, Reef-Pi didn't support the native Raspberry pi PWM output, so I used on of these instead. However I believe the later version now supports native PWM output.

Although as you've already got a power supply there may be a different way to achieve the same result, without buying the Meanwell driver I link to above.

@lazybones51 from my understanding I should be able to do it with native PWM on the raspberry PI. The simplified circuit would look like this:
pi_led_dimming.PNG

Back