• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

Max size 15cm!!!
They would look amazing darting around.
RIP RCSs though...

Thanks for all the suggestions peeps.
I need to think about this

Fil

Not necessarily. If you get the shrimp population going long enough, plus the plants and hiding places, the fish will not be able to catch them all. I once added my clown loaches to a non-predatory tank I had been running for a while, which was full of shrimp and had a large group of corydoras. The tank broke down eventually but the clown loaches hadn't managed to eat the shrimp. I found hundreds of them when taking the tank apart.

Nice tank by the way, looking forward to the development.
Its hard to decide on the type of fish but think about your plants as well. Larger fish may not be gentle to the plants. Damaged plants always equal algae. On another hand, in person ,I find that small fish can be barely seen in larger tanks, although it may look good in a video... I have a 240 gallon indoor pond and I like my clown loaches and denison barbs. I have a large group of harlequin rasboras but I can barely make them out...Plus I like being able to sort of count my fish, no matter the size of the tank...

On a side note, I would consider growing emersed plants out the water in that tank. Then it would look like a real garden :)

Last edited:
I find that small fish can be barely seen in larger tanks
I like sitting close up to the tank and realy "emerse" myself in it. I can't see in detail all the small fish from the couch/sofa indeed, just the large ones, but close up the small ones are very interesting.

I generally prefer small fish. I am totally not a fan of tank busters and overstocked large tanks but what I see is this:

harlequin-rasboras.jpg

Vs. this

Denisons-3.jpg

Denisons-1.jpg

Last edited:
Not necessarily. If you get the shrimp population going long enough, plus the plants and hiding places, the fish will not be able to catch them all. I once added my clown loaches to a non-predatory tank I had been running for a while, which was full of shrimp and had a large group of corydoras. The tank broke down eventually but the clown loaches hadn't managed to eat the shrimp. I found hundreds of them when taking the tank apart.

Agree. The RCS are everywhere, time to chance it.
I actually broke down my oscar and dollar tank lately and found shrimp in the gravel :D

I find that small fish can be barely seen in larger tanks, although it may look good in a video... I have a 240 gallon indoor pond and I like my clown loaches and denison barbs. I have a large group of harlequin rasboras but I can barely make them out...Plus I like being able to sort of count my fish, no matter the size of the tank...

I admit not being able to count fish bothers me. No idea how many otos I've left.

However, what @Edvet is describing is absolutely true for The Beast.
Getting up close for some "fish spotting" is very rewarding.
I think "small" numbers of a selection of different species of fish/shrimp will make this even more rewarding.

And my tank is half the size of Filip's. I take into consideration that similar to mine, his tank is as wide as it is long and some fish will never be seen as well as in a standard width tank.

Youre right, but its not that bad. Fish tend to move around anyway so you get to watch them eventually.

Thanks for reading
Fil

Fish on order:

Columbian tetras
Endler guppies
Black widow tetras
SAE
Elephant noses
Bamboo shrimp
Assassin snails
Apistogrammas Agassizii
Galaxy rasboras
Cardinal tetras
Black neon tetras
Pinguin tetras
Red lizard whiptail plec
Dwarf puffers
Serpae tetras
Amano shrimp

Holy sh*t, need to stay away from ebay when drinking wine...

Thanks for reading
Fil

Elephant noses
I had one of those. Fed it almost exclusively in bloodworm and tubefix. It'd be difficult to do these days since no one around here sells live food any more.
I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to get more than one, they can be very intolerant of their own species.

I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to get more than one, they can be very intolerant of their own species.

You might be right, for some reason I ordered 2.
Lets hope the tank is big enough to let them hide away from each other.
If not, one will have to go.

Fil

Depends on how brightly lit the tank is, how much cover there is, and tank mates. It mainly likes to hover around the bottom but will take food from the surface once established.

I am sure your elephant nose will have a much better chance of surviving than the majority that get sold!
My local store sells them regularly, you can often see 10 or more crammed in a 2’ tank waiting to meet further torture and doom...
I have often been tempted to try and save one but, never actually bought one.

I am sure your elephant nose will have a much better chance of surviving than the majority that get sold!
I think so too, but I don't think the genus is suitable for an ordinary community tank. It deserves a dedicated biotope type tank with plenty of hiding places, dense planting, and subdued lighting. They are fascinating to watch, especially when they are rooting around in the substrate, using the snout to probe for worms.

I think with elephant nose it's either a case of having one or a very large shoal as otherwise they single each other out. Two is the worst number for any territorial fish as one will get singled out. You have a load of space though so may be ok. I hope they do well for you, I think the biggest issue will be getting them enough food in a tank that size with a lot of other tank mates. The tetras are always going to be first to any food.

Cheers

Conor

I had a group of ten in a lfs display tank. It was a blackwater type tank with lots of branches and a nice sand bed. I had leopard bushfish and a school of angelfish as tankmates and it worked well. The tank was up for a couple of years, before someone bought the group, and I didn't lose any of them. I fed bloodworm mainly but used white worm and black worms, some chopped earthworm with live bloodworm and tubifex a couple of times a week.
I wouldn't advise them for a normal tank as you won't see much of them.

Also with no disrespect meant, you have quite a mix mash of fish on order. Most are fine but you are mixing species that prefer different water parameters like hard water live bearers with soft loving tetra and cichlids. Your list also contains species that are likely to intimate others, notably the shy celestials with known aggressors like penguin tetra and nippers like serpae. You have the advantage of space but I'd consider reavaluating some of them before you add them and go for those that thrive together.

Also with no disrespect meant, you have quite a mix mash of fish on order. Most are fine but you are mixing species that prefer different water parameters like hard water live bearers with soft loving tetra and cichlids. Your list also contains species that are likely to intimate others, notably the shy celestials with known aggressors like penguin tetra and nippers like serpae. You have the advantage of space but I'd consider reavaluating some of them before you add them and go for those that thrive together.

Many thanks for pointing this out!

Fil

Sorry to be overly negative but I've had to deal with problem stocking in a couple of tanks even larger than yours (maintenance accounts) and know what a pain it all is. The serpaes are the only one I think you'd be really better off not adding, the rest in theory should be less problematic (sometimes penguins are a pain unless you have a decent sized group). The space and cover your tank provides does make fish choice less than an issue and looking forward to seeing how things go.

Sorry to be overly negative but I've had to deal with problem stocking in a couple of tanks even larger than yours (maintenance accounts) and know what a pain it all is. The serpaes are the only one I think you'd be really better off not adding, the rest in theory should be less problematic (sometimes penguins are a pain unless you have a decent sized group). The space and cover your tank provides does make fish choice less than an issue and looking forward to seeing how things go.

I dont see being critical as "negative".
Its an opportunity to learn.

Thanks again for the input. Very much appreciated.

Fil

As @mort suggested I changed the serpaes for a couple extra whiptails.

All fish arrived, and seem happy exploring the tank.

The pair of apistos swam in separate directions and have not been seen together since lol

The pair of elephant noses explored for half hour then disappeared between the rocks. They are great, cant wait to see more of them once they settle.

Love the bamboo shrimp, love all the various tetras. Love it. Love it. Love it.

Been lurking around trying to spot the various species. As @Edvet suggested, very rewarding.

I will post some pics soon.

Thanks for reading
Fil

Last edited:
Back