• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

I think it is a good idea as when the Arawana grows to big you will be forced to get an even bigger tank and we can all enjoy a new thread...

If I ever get to buy a new house, I will look for one with a cellar big enough to swim in.
Or a house with an indoor pool I could convert, and still swim in...

It's dangerous to give me ideas...

I built a 10,000 gallon cold water koi pond for one customer around 30 years ago, the owner swims in it every day thoughout the year.
I have other customers who have heated koi ponds and swim in them during the summer.
One has two 5’ sturgeon swimming amongst his koi collection.

Last edited:
huuuge scape, healthy plants, pretty automated setup, what else can a man ever want? besides a large fish to go with it.

Thanks!
Exactly...

most people would put discus in a tank like that, i'd say that happens fairly commonly

Well, I wouldn't mind except I do not fancy heating this much water to 30C. Electricity is expensive here, and the plants wouldnt appreciate it.

spotted gar would be cool

It would, I imagine it would wreck my scape too :D
can we all agree bluegill are pretty cool?

Gotta look those up.

This scape is definetly making a big mark in the aquascaping history books imo, or at least it is for me. I've seen other large tanks but this is very... unique! Loving the scape and the improvements that go with it dude keep it up.

Strong words... thanks dude! Made my day!

Thanks for reading
Fil

I build a 10,000 gallon cold water koi pond for one customer around 30 years ago, the owner swims in it every day thoughout the year.
I have other customers who have heated koi ponds and swim in them during the summer.
One has two 5’ sturgeon swimming amongst his koi collection.

Nice... naturally filtered swimming pools are "in" lately, why not put some monsters inside aswell hehe.

Arowana''s jump!
Having a large tank myself i went for smaller fish in the end, much more interesting to look at in the long run and gives much more scope for variety. I love it when the fish interact amongst themselves and other species, and having fry pop out of the growth unsuspectedly is a BIG bonus. Also large fish might have a big influence on the tank ( amount of dirt/muck/rearanging the plants etc)
Think of the Amano Lisboa setup, you can sit there for hours and look at all the small living things in there. If it had three very big fish i''t wouldn''t captivate as much. Just my 2€cts.

I agree with those who said big shoals of small fish will look better, but if you want some big fish instead, what about Apollo Sharks, Luciosoma spp?

Hello Fellow Aquascapers,

I have another mad idea, and I need you to talk me out of it.
Im thinking of getting a silver arowana for the Beast.
Please tell me why I shouldnt!
]

I personally think the tank still wouldn't be big enough for an adult silver arowana. Also once it gets larger it will mess the scape up. Why not try denisonii barbs or rainbow fish? Not so small that they'd get lost in the scape and not too big that they'd mess the sense of scale. Also the colours on some species are amazing.

I would go for a large shoal of the red shoulder angels I mentioned before. They'll get to a big size and look amazing with the red shoulders. They also have that look of altums about them but should be much easier to keep.

Cheers

Conor

Id like to ad to what @Edvet said,

George farmer says in one of his videos that, in larger tanks, it is more rewarding to have "hidden fish" that "reward" you when you find them.
Going on explaining how, the contrast of a Main schooling (or multiple) interesting types of fish hold viewers attention, and finding the hidden fish is like a viewer reward.

+1 for 1 dario dario who's with me?????

DSCF1979.jpg

and +1 for bluegill/sunfish

If It was my tank I'd be looking for a main group of fish and then some others that add more interesting behaviour. So apistogramma harems on the bottom and a medium sized cichlid for the middle and upper levels. The red shoulder angelfish are a nice suggestion but I would probably go for the often overlooked festivum, or perhaps a group of both in a tank this size.

Wife keeps asking me to get some Discus. Only trouble is they would make my tank look smaller IMO. Told her she can pick any fish that doesn't get bigger than 3cm.
Only fish I have that gets begger is my SAE but they serve a purpose.

Tanks looking very impressive you have done great IMO.

Not sure about your choice of DW but that's a personal choice, plus getting a big piece that works would be hard too.

Tanks looking very impressive you have done great IMO.

Not sure about your choice of DW but that's a personal choice, plus getting a big piece that works would be hard too.

Thanks Zeus.
I agree on the wood, not overly sure about it myself.

Fil

Started getting BBA.
Maybe caused by a clogged CO2 reactor, slowing down the flow (ooops).
All the co2 still got dissolved and plants were pearling so not sure if that was the issue.

Had some wine the other night, ordered a bunch of fish... should arrive this week.
This will include SAE, whould help with BBA, and a couple of elephant noses, cant wait, they look very interesting.

Gave the tank a good scrub today, and prescribed a blackout for 3 days to batter the BBA a bit, and will increase the co2.

Should have a nice vid for you guys next weekend, with all the new fish in.

@Zeus. - twigs are gone too!

Thanks for reading
Fil

I think it only ate live food though?

That is my understanding. Although frozen might do.
They eat slowly, so risk being outcompeted aswell, they will be a challenge!

Bloodworm, blackworm and turkey baster on standby! :D

Fil

Back