• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

30cm Cube - The Stump

lazybones51

First proper attempt at Aquascaping, along with my first journal :)

Tank: 30cm/27l cube, purchased new from eBay. Isn't up to the quality of an AS300 however for a 1/3 of the price I can't complain too much.

Filter: APS EF-150. From the specifications it's bigger/more power than required for an aquarium of this size (15x turnover). It's throttled slightly on the outlet to reduce the flow for the fish, most of the plants are swaying in the flow.

Heater: Eden 50w

CO2: Dosing liquid carbon, may add compressed CO2 in the future depending on how it grows in.

Lighting: DIY LED unit, has three modes 9/18/27w. Only been running on 9w so far.

Substrate: Tropica Aquarium Soil Powder 3L

Hardscape: Dragon Stone and Piece of unknown wood, purchased from Aquarium Gardens

Plants:
  • 1 x Tropica Eleocharis acicularis mini (1-2-GROW)
  • 2 x Tropica Rotala Rotundifolia
  • Home grown emersed Staurogyne Repens
Fish:
  • 3 x Male Guppies (Daughters chose the fish :))
  • 2 x Amano Shrimp

These are from when it was first setup (29/12/18), i'm no photographer as you can see o_O

IMG_4279.JPG

IMG_4277.JPG

Future plans are to change the heater to an external and to replace the pipework with something discrete, such as glass Lily pipes etc.

Thought i'd update this with some progress. The Rotala Rotundifolia has been growing really nicely, however the leaves just a few down from the top all the way to the bottom of the stem are developing brown/black dots?

I've added a couple of new plants from Aquarium Gardens, firstly a pot of Bucephalandra sp. "Lamandau Mini Red which i've poked in to the cracks in the wood. Hopefully this can eventually cover the cut section on the wood. Secondly some Pogostemon Erectus which is still adapting, however it's growing and sending out some side shoots.

Hoping to grow the Rotala and Pogostemon into dense bushes in each corner.

IMG_20190502_185912300.jpg

IMG_20190430_213109710.jpg

Looking great, only thing I would change is move the buce from near the top of the wood to lower. The buce bottom left of the stump looks great, the top portion looks a bit distracting currently.

Another update. The Buce is growing really well and has been flowering! I added some Fissidens moss to the top of the wood.

Still struggling with the Rotala & Pogostemon, however I *think* I've narrowed the issue down to micro nutrient toxicity, so I'm currently not dosing any micros to test this theory.

IMG_20190605_205542667.jpg

Back