• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Expected growth

Carpman

I don't know if it's me or not but I was expecting a lot better growth than I'm getting especially as I'm dosing EI.

Before you ask.;) My set up is Trigon 190ltr tank, Eheim 4+ 350 with 2 jet nozzles, wavemaker 8000 at speed 2/8 (about 2000ltr per hr) continuous flow synced co2, Co2 supplied via fe and Qanvee inline BPS about 10, Lighting helialux with day-night control, Photoperiod 6hrs @70%, Ferts EI. The tank was planted on the 1st. Just in case it matters the distance of light water surface 2" and to soil 10-16 inches.

Mc has all but disappeared between lack of growth and the uprooting, 2 pots of 1 2 grow were planted.
The Eleocharis mini has shown some growth but again minimal.
Staurogyens and the Pogostemon have grown well I think.
The Limnophilia and Hottonia in parts are growing well and others not so (but I think that is a flow issue).

Just after flooding
20181202_133924.jpg

As is tonight
20181221_183326[1].jpg

I have purchased some more MC and Eleo mini and Reineckii to be replaced/planted this weekend.
I now have melt and holes in the Anubias (extra plant not a permanent resident) this obviously suggests Co2 issue. you may have noticed the 3 DC's in the right corner, checking flow.
So my question is:- is it impatience or do I have an issue?

Last edited:
I recently rescaped my 90cm x 45cm x 53cm (high) tank ... maybe 10days ago
Tropica AS Powder
Eheim Pro 4 350 filter (1050 l/h and stuffed full of media including Eheim’s fine filter floss equivalent ;) )
2 x Kessil A160 @ 100% 7-9 h/day (8 h goal)
Tropica CO2 diffuser @ 2 bps (starting 30min before lights or same time)
Eheim 350 skim
Tropica Specialized and Premium, each 1-2 pumps daily (start of photoperiod)

Peering at the tank - sorry no photos (world’s worst photographer :oops:) - but tank definitely looks much more densely planted
Rotala Vietnam H’ra 6-8cm growth
H micrathemoides 4-10cm growth
- some stems were very short initially, in general most stems have doubled in height
MC - this was from previous scape and (re)planted quite lightly BUT in my experience, always settles and begins growing more quickly than MC pots or in vitro sources
Rotala ‘Bonsai’ - 1-2-Grow cup that was not in the best condition, surprisingly almost no melt to date
Various other plants, most seem to show significant growth - except C helferi which I can never really tell until suddenly it just seems much denser o_O

My most helpful observation, set a photoperiod that aligns more with natural light rhythms - presently I’m running
12 - 1 pm start
8 - 10pm finish
Plant response is much more positive than when I tried to force a 4pm - midnight photoperiod

Back to your tank - that RTB shark is likely not helping plants at all - every night he maybe nibbling on those he likes, kicking off those he dislikes, ignoring those he feels neutral towards
Any angel fish may be doing much the same - some completely ignore plants but most check them out frequently
- a frequent fish activity not appreciated by plants trying to get going in life

Well with added fish you really limit the ability to experiment.
Generally speaking most folk leave around six weeks before adding livestock, there are several reasons for this, one is it is differcult to play around with C02 levels without endangering the creatures.
Also as Alto points out, fish like to check out plants and can easily damage fresh planting!
At 10bps you should have enough gas in there so your flow could be off.
Dry starts are popular when planting small plants as it gives them a chance to establish a good root system.
So your set up might be fine but the foreground plants are suffering due to fish attention or perhaps they are not getting enough flow and C02.

2 x Kessil A160 @ 100% 7-9 h/day (8 h goal)
Tropica CO2 diffuser @ 2 bps (starting 30min before lights or same time)

I must admit I'm shocked, your lighting is at full power already I thought we had to ease into full power (were all plants taken from old scape so already adjusted to full power lighting). Assuming tank is approx 200 ltrs, your co2 is only 2bps.

@foxfish, I would love to have had the time to do a dry start but this was a rescape and I'm not the most patient, as it was the fish had been in holding tank for nearly 4 weeks. Timing was probaly all wrong doing just prior to xmas, I needed to get it done so we could have the living room back to normal.

I forgot to mention in setup that Co2 is added via Qanvee inline

There are some folk who seem to manage with low levels of C02 and high light, probably only a small percentage though?
Most folk who post on the forum rely on a PH profile to get a better idea of what the C02 content is in the tank water.
In my own 200lt tank I use around 8-10 bps but it is so difficult to count accurately.... I did film my counter alongside a watch and slowed it down on my iPad.
However I have a sump and a high wattage pump so I do use quite a lot of gas.
From your pictures it looks like your plants are physically disappearing?

I have been at this game for nearly 50 years and I still don’t get the results many other guys get, on occasions, it seems that just a little bit out with something can really get you off to a bad start !
I had a 120lt tank a few years back and it was really on song, I saw pealing 20 mins after lights on and fantastic heathy growth.... I have not been able to replicate that in this tank no matter what I try....
Yes three days befor Christmas might not be the ideal time to sort out your issues..

Back