• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NatureScape - The End

I will look forward to seeing the next creation.
Thanks Ady, I already have a work in progress.
If it’s not fun it’s not worth it, best moving on to the next and enjoying the journey again, sometimes it’s the only way as the damage has been done.
You're so right. It's also a good philosophy for life in general :)

I'm looking forward to see what you do next.

I've given my scape a huge trim in a bid to remove as much BBA as I can. Like you, the large piece of bog-wood sheds an inordinate amount of organics. The amount of crap that comes out of the substrate around it is scary. Oddly I was a few Aquarium Gardens videos and noticed that some of their scapes have BBA. I spoke to them and asked about it and they said they have BBA in most of the tanks and it's just something you have to live with, which is slightly off-putting.

What wood are you thinking of going with next?

Thanks @PAYN3Y you have my sincere sympathy, it's a nightmare. It's a balancing act at the best of times especially with high light tanks. Luckily for AG Steve does a fantastic job maintaining the tanks, so the BBA is kept under control. However, throw something like disintegrating wood in to the mix and keeping a tank algae free becomes a massive challenge.

Most of my tanks have been medium light and until this scape I've only had a problem with BBA once, but that was in a high light Iwagumi, and that was only because the gas ran out whilst I was on holiday. You can see it starting to grow on the tips of the mini hair grass in the pic below. It spread like wildfire after this and the scape was torn down.

11292456345_22cf586505_b-jpg.jpg

What I've experienced this time is in a whole different league tho'...
32359927248_96815812e8_b.jpg

P.S. I'm going to use Mazi next time. It's been well used in the past, so hopefully no more problems ;)

Last edited:
Just reading your blog Tim. Very interesting and new hardscape looks fantastic. Love the wood.

All BBA now gone at Aquarium Gardens! Have gradually got rid of it over the last month. Still a stubborn little bit here and there but that is slowly going.

Main key has been increased maintenance time, gone from 4-8 hours a week to 15 hours a week (there are 10 tanks I think).

My experience with what I’ve been doing (I know a bit academic for you now Tim) -

- scrubbed the hardscape to death with a wire brush.
- massive use of the turkey baster (blasting whilst siphoning) method
- increased weekly water changes to 100% (75% drain then running water change)
- when drained spray 3% hydrogen peroxide over the bba and scape in general.
- regular filter cleaning
- added purigen to the filters
- zero tolerance to bba. If it’s on a leaf, cut the leaf off. If too far gone replace the plant.

Just my experience Looking forward to how your new scape evolves!

S.

Snap, that's exactly how I felt. Have you posted a pic somewhere on the forum? I'd like to see that ;)

Since you asked, you get the “warts an all” shot :hilarious:

Afternoon coffee

upload_2018-12-10_13-37-9.jpeg

Note all the extraneous bits
pots to be planted (elsewhere)
too many fish (from 90cm)
floating home for Betta in transition- he reacted badly when added directly to tank
extra wood from 90cm

Note the H micrathemoides has suddenly gone rampant - I trimmed it to under 12cm 5days ago

The impulse video is actually somewhat better but no YouTube etc account so not available

ETA and Kessil was only at 40% or so :oops:
Oh ... tank was rescaped almost 4 weeks ago, “new” plants are the E mini, H verticillata, E parvula, rest came out of the holding bin looking rather sad but have shown astounding regrowth which I attribute to the new Tropica Soil (only change in tank maintenance)

Last edited:
Looks a fantastic layout. I'm planing on going triangular on my next scape too. My battle with BBA appears to be improving but I've almost convinced myself to recsape in the new year anyway.

Very nice hardscape Tim.
Lovely nice triangular layout:clap:.
Thanks Dave...triangular is where it's at for me; due to the position of my tank it's viewed mainly from the righthand corner.

Just reading your blog Tim. Very interesting and new hardscape looks fantastic. Love the wood.
Thanks Steve, the wood is courtesy of Tom Barr, a while back now. So it's tried and tested and hopefully done leaching organics.

Main key has been increased maintenance time, gone from 4-8 hours a week to 15 hours a week (there are 10 tanks I think).
That's time very well spent. The showroom scapes look fantastic. I couldn't make it at the weekend but I watched George's video. And thanks for the BBA elimination methodology, Using extreme prejudice is the only way. BTW how long is the H2O2 in contact with plants before the tank is refilled? Just for my own future reference; I've never used it before.

Well, I've to say that it was worth the rescape; the new hardscape looks very nice!
Thanks CooKies, I'm going to live with it a short while before I commit, so it might change a little yet.

Since you asked, you get the “warts an all” shot :hilarious:
That growth is spectacular, and no algae in sight :cool:

Looks a fantastic layout. I'm planing on going triangular on my next scape too. My battle with BBA appears to be improving but I've almost convinced myself to recsape in the new year anyway.
Thanks, and good news regarding your fight against BBA. It's always gratifying when your hard work and perseverance pays off, but starting a new journey is always exciting...

Lovely hardscape
From front to back I would choose:
Monte Carlo
Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis
Bucephalandra and Anubias in shaded areas on the wood
Hygrophila Pinnatifida on top of the wood
Rotala Wallichii just behind the focal point (1/3 from the left)
Pogostemon Erectus

@FishLifeLondon thanks,, good suggestions :)
@alto me too, I like the idea of the different textures and colours. Jurijs has a bit more foreground to play with, but something similar could work.
Size matters.. :shy:
Boo...that's terrible :rolleyes:

I believe it's the girth that's more important. Well you started it! Double entendre's over now, back to scaping.

Anyone who says bigger is better has obviously never had to carry it up a staircase.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Back