• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90cm Low Tech Wood, Cobbles & Emersed (Probably)

Wondering how it would look with an additional rock on the far top right of the stack so you visually have a 'slope' (tallest pat on the glass) rather than a 'pile' (near the glass).

Hope that makes sense. Give it a go and see if you like it. I've just done a similar thing on my tank and it looked good, hope it works for yours too.

Wondering how it would look with an additional rock on the far top right of the stack so you visually have a 'slope' (tallest pat on the glass) rather than a 'pile' (near the glass).

I see what you mean - I think your right it's that edge that looks wrong. I need to pick up a bigger rock for the top, the ones I have all look too small there. The local selection was a bit rubbish, but maybe they've restocked. And maybe wedge something down the side of the glass so I can lean/add rocks against the glass there like they are tumbling down from the right instead of a 'pile'.

More slope, less pile?

20180831_144250b.jpg

Getting wet!

20180903_232914b.jpg

Just waiting for more RO to run through.

Broke off two small pieces of lilly. It's starting to die back in the pond but there are lots of new baby leaves so hopefully it will spring back to life. I did two small bits so it fills in, but hopefully is easier to take half out if it goes crazy.

20180904_121511b.jpg

Thinking about planting Lagenandra meeboldii Red under/in front of it - anyone tried it? Some of the descriptions day 30cm long leaves, but all the in tank examples I've seen it's got more like 5-10cm short round ones.

Also are crypt. nevelli and x willisii the same thing?

Forgot to setup the lights % so got a smidge of algae, clearing up already though (honest).

IMG_7426b.jpg

I'm not worried, gives the shrimp and soon to be added Otos something to make them feel at home. Plus it pearls :lol:

IMG_7429b.JPG

Moved across seven ember tetras and 15 juvenile cherries. Seem to be doing great so I'll catch some more up. I added established media from my other tanks and been doing 25-30% water changes every few days. I'll move the otos in when I pick up something to replace them in the old tank, which will be temporary quarantine for the rest of the stocking. Trying to find habrosus corys locally seem impossible so I think I might have to order online.

Need to take a fts algaes cleared up and plants are growing (slowly).

Just got some dinky (finger for scale) Scarlet Badis, asked for a couple of males and then the dullest in the tank of 100 so I'm hoping for some females. Very cute. They are in a separate tank quarantining atm Corys are on order but will have to see if they actually come in.

20181006_134951b.jpg

Hi all,
asked for a couple of males and then the dullest in the tank of 100 so I'm hoping for some females
I think they all look like males. I've never seen a live female, but a couple of times I've bought colourless fish, but once they were in the tank they coloured up.

Apparently the female <"shouldn't have any red on her">. It really annoys me that you can't get any females. I've been looking at these, and Dario hysginon, for about ten years, but I've never seen a female for sale.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,I think they all look like males. I've never seen a live female, but a couple of times I've bought colourless fish, but once they were in the tank they coloured up.

Apparently the female <"shouldn't have any red on her">. It really annoys me that you can't get any females. I've been looking at these, and Dario hysginon, for about ten years, but I've never seen a female for sale.

It's odd, you'd have thought sorting such tiny fish to remove all the females would be more work that it's worth, particularly as there are plenty of other fish with 'dull' coloured females that are sold in combination.

Ah well, if they all turn out to be boys I won't hold it against them, and I can scatter them between tanks if they get too territorial. I picked up 10 as I had to order them in but that might be too many if they are all boys.

Love the Badis, please post some photos when they settle in. Think of some for my AS900. Hope they are active and don’t hide too much. Will they need live food? T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the Badis, please post some photos when they settle in. Think of some for my AS900. Hope they are active and don’t hide too much. Will they need live food? T

They didn't even hide when I let them out the bag! They seem pretty tough little guys. The LFS was feeding them cyclops and frozen daphnia, I've some live daphnia which they already had a munch of. Will let you know how they get on :)

I’ve see the odd female arrive in (male) shipments - they’ve always been the fish “least in sight” under the decor/jumped over to the filter etc - not unexpected I suppose if you’re the only girl surrounded by a hundred boys :eek:

(female) shipments rarely seem to arrive, though they appear on some fish lists

Really loving the scarlet badis. They have settled in great, are very bold and outgoing - not phased by water changes, they aren't nervous about movement in front of the tank and gather as soon as they think there is food on offer! Feed wise, they have cichlid style mouths - can fit surprising big food in for their size! Readily take daphnia, cyclops and brineshrimp. They will suck in and spit out the pellets I have so I would guess they might take flake etc. just need to find a brand they like the flavour of. Waiting to hear my LFS has the next fish on my list and then I can move them over out of quarantine.

I wish I could take better photos!

IMG_7490b.JPG

And a FTS, still got a fair bit of hair algae.
IMG_7519c.JPG

Moved the scarlet badis into the main tank, settled in fine. I was a bit worried that 10 males could be an issue, but they don't seem to bug each other - I guess no girls to fight over means no need to be territorial. Not seen any baby shrimp since though.

Also managed to finally find some cory habrosus! Nine teeny little things settled in great and shoal beautifully with the otos. Gambled a bit and put them straight in the main tank as I'd picked up 10 more otos elsewhere the day before for quarantine. They are doing less well down to five - although those are eating well.
IMG_7614b.JPG

String/thread algae is still a pain, I've dropped the lights down more and spread out the floaters to better cover the worst area.

Nice, wish I could find some Badis locally they seem Ideal nano but characterful fish. I’ve had similar Oto experience, they seem to be solid if they survive past a month. Seems to be a lot of theories about their collection that leads to a high mortality rate :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, wish I could find some Badis locally they seem Ideal nano but characterful fish.

Definitely, they are little characters. I was lucky my LFS ordered them in and they were fairly reasonably priced too 3 for £10. They were easier to get hold of than the corys. Be worth asking your LFS if they can order you some.

My stocking is now 9 otos, 9 habrosus corys, 7 ember tetras, 10 scarlet badis and some cherry shrimp. Not sure what (if anything) else I want to add.

IMG_7809b.jpg

IMG_7798b.JPG

IMG_7814b.JPG

Plants are doing fairly well, although I get the impression my water column is missing something. I think I'm gong to try going back to Tropica Ferts, the TNC doesn't seem to work as well and I'm a bit suspicious of how separated it is in the bottle. Anything growing in the substrate is fine, but others not quite right.

IMG_7749b.JPG

That badis is stunning and they have to be the brightest ember tetras I've seen.

I’d just increase the shoal sizes
- 15 habrosus
- 17 embers

:D

I’d just increase the shoal sizes
- 15 habrosus
- 17 embers

:D

Tried to go back and get more habrosus this week, but they'd sold out and are closing down at the weekend :( Took me a year to find some - should have got more.

I'd like to try breeding extra Embers - 2 of the 7 Embers are babies that appeared which seems like a good sign, but I don't think I'll get more in the tank with the scarlet badis hunting. Tried once before but no luck. I've a little 12x8" daphnia tank that I could drop a pair into for a week and see if they leave eggs ... if I can catch them. I need to pick up a heater though as I would guess the window sill is a bit chilly this time of year.

Back