• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

55 Gallon Community | Discus | Planted

Marc Davis

Thought i would start this journal to put all the builds for my discus tank in one place and then continue with the current one i've just set up this weekend.

So here is how the story has gone so far.

1st scape. I liked it but started getting frustrated with BBA and didnt have the skills to combat it back then so i tore it down to restart.

discus 1 .jpg

2nd Scape:
Really liked this one and only tore it down as i was moving house.
Discus 2.jpg

3rd scape:
Went for a log theme as an experiment a few weeks before the move of the house as a temporary set up.
Discus 3.jpg

4th Scape:
New house, went for a clean setup but it was too sterile for me and wanted something a bit more natural for the fish:
Discus 4.jpg

5th Scape:
More as i envisiged, but flow was terrible and the wife did not like the eventual tannins the bogwood leached.
Discus 5..jpg

6th and current scape:
Where i am at now. Just setup this weekend. The Sag. will carpet well for a nice jungle style floor and the rotala should fill the whole gap section and burst into the scape in a few months. This is somewhere in the middle of trying to create a natural scape but still retain that nature aquarium style.
Discus 6.jpg

This is a scape that will evolve. I've got the s. repens in the centre that i will try to cultivate for a large section of the foreground. Hoping it does well because it is the one plant ive always struggled with and i really like it.

Will keep the updates coming.

Tank details:
200 litre.
100cm x 50cm x 40 cm
diy co2
micro fert top ups at water change
fish feeding minimum twice per day
1800ltr per hour internal filter.
1000ltr per hour canister filter
2x 20 watt LED floodlights 6500 kelvin.

Last edited:
Looks really cool!
I just wonder how you keep a tank like that clean with discus? Especially long term.

tons of flow.

i can never see any waste in the tank. the canister filter takes care of the biological filtration along with the plants and the gravel bed, the internal 1800 litre per hour filter cleans up any mess very fast. it literally cant settle and is sucked up in no time. i clean this filter every weak to keep it super clean and the flow high. any unlikely big pieces of discus waste or food that dare quickly sent into the water column by the cories.

So every week, the internal filter collects a lot of waste and is completely cleaned...therefore, a huge majority of the waste is completely gone, not just hiding in the areas you cannot see.

Hi
I have just adopted same strategy for my puffer tank.My external filter was struggling to pick all floating bits suspended by the corries so added compact but powerful internal one(£6 )to help with that as cant afford upgrade to more powerful external one atm.Difference is obvious in water clarity and my SAP puffers enjoying the washing mashine like flow in tank now(72l tank with 1500l/h circulation)
Regards Konsa

Hi
I have just adopted same strategy for my puffer tank.My external filter was struggling to pick all floating bits suspended by the corries so added compact but powerful internal one(£6 )to help with that as cant afford upgrade to more powerful external one atm.Difference is obvious in water clarity and my SAP puffers enjoying the washing mashine like flow in tank now(72l tank with 1500l/h circulation)
Regards Konsa

I angle my outflow of the internal filter at the aquarium glass by about 45 degrees. This takes a lot of the sting out of the flow and keeps it just in one area whilst still getting all the suction for the floating crap.

Nice! I liked nr 2 and 3 the most the last one got a good form, think it would look great filled in.. Was suprised to see your tank dimentions you make your tank look bigger then it is even with such large fish. Well done.

Yeah, no.2 was my favourite, but i thinks its always best to try something different each time to get better. I could have easily replicated it again after the move but it had been running for about 5 months and thats a record for me haha.

As you say, when the current tank matures, i think it has more scope for interest than no.2 as there are dark and light areas that draw you in to take a look and much more hardscape and moss to give a more natural look rather than a dutch "style".

Little update of the new layout. 1 week in.

Added 6 harlequin rasporas and a few more plants:
20181116_184039-1008x756.jpg

The harlequins add a lot of activity to the top of the tank. I will get 4 more tummy nose and then I'm stocked out. Technically already am if you go by recommendations but I feel my water quality is excellent and tons of room, so why not.

Plants are settling well as they have that vibrant glow to them...Which is probably because they now have co2 and haven't had any for months.

Little update.
Fts
20181119_073405.jpg

Overall we are settling in well. I've added a few more plants. Some crypts and another I forgot the name of. They both need to convert to a submerged state.

20181119_072320-1024x768.jpg

Lotss of new growth on the anubias

20181119_072329-1024x768.jpg

Rotala is growing in well.

20181119_072411-1024x768.jpg

One of these s repens is doing well. The other was moved into the tank after being in a cooler setup for a week. It's not doing great but will bounce back.

20181119_072303-1024x768.jpg

Something amazing has happened!!!!

My first discus eggs. I guess they like the setup.

I'm not sure who the pair are or even the female to be honest. I've just nipped home before travelling for work to these!!!
20181119_102006-768x1024.jpg

20181119_102629-1024x768.jpg

20181119_102647-1024x768.jpg

These are the first eggs I've seen so I'm a bit excited to say the least...and now I'm working away until Friday :(

Re-arranged the scape. Came back after being away for the week and there was clearly some dead spots.

Although it looks more full, the tank is much more open with this jungle style scape. All the same plants and wood, just shifted around. A lot more interesting for looking at and the fish are darting in and out of everywhere. Really fun.
20181124_074556-1024x767.jpg

IMG_20181124_075621_406.jpg

20181124_105418-768x1024.jpg

Sorry to hear that but it is still a beautiful tank.

Incredible when you consider you have 2x 20w lights and Diy Co2. Do you use yeast or citric acid?

Back