• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

need assistance choosing emersed setup (LARGE SETUP) lighting.

DutchMuch

I have 10 tubs im setting up to sell plants, the tubs are medium size, the width of them is about 1 1/2 ft.
length is about 2 feet.
So im lining these tubs up, Sides touching sides. Meaning, that they will be around 10 ft Long all in all.
Im looking for a (under 1,000$) lighting system i can use for this project, its proving pretty hard to find something i feel confident in buying. I'd probably need more than 2 lighting systems for this, systems as in Sets. Any ideas?

Well if its for growing them any light would do IMO, some cheap high output LEDs as the colour of the light is irrelevant as long as there is enough PAR. With the emersed growth and 400ppm CO2 we dont have to worry about algae so we can relatively blast them with light, but I'm sure there are limits but not an expert OFC just my initial thoughts thats all M8

Well if its for growing them any light would do IMO, some cheap high output LEDs as the colour of the light is irrelevant as long as there is enough PAR. With the emersed growth and 400ppm CO2 we dont have to worry about algae so we can relatively blast them with light, but I'm sure there are limits but not an expert OFC just my initial thoughts thats all M8
trying to go the LED route indeed just due to preference.
Do you think about 10 of these would work well? https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...amazon.com/Outdoor-Halog...potlight&psc=1

Don't know if you get them over there, but I use cheap LED Gu10 lights for my emersed plants and orchids. Until the tub moulded it grew plants like mad, this is with one 3W light:

Emersed 47 days.jpg

Have a look at the "" growshop"" market. I used to enhance orchid lighting with sodium plant lights, ugly as f@ck, but efficient.
i looked up growshop
all i got was marijuana results :angelic:

Any ideas?
Have you considered LED lamps like GU but Edison Screw but check the mains voltage. Dirt cheap from China via ebay. Each lamp gives a circular foot print and you can rise or lower for intensity. Lamps are typically 3 to 15 Watts each. Some red/blue some full spectrum. Hope this helps.

I have 10 tubs im setting up to sell plants
As in emerse growth of aquarium plants?

Humidity is an important factor
Light spectrum will impact types of growth
Also some knowledge of botany & what stressors might trigger an aquarium selected plant strain to revert (to less efficient aquatic strains) ... maintenance of “mother” lines is an important aspect of commercial aquarium plant production
Some plant lines are much more stable than others

If you’re selling cheap, then likely most buyers won’t much care overmuch re quality as long as there’s quantity
If you’re selling to new aquarium plant hobbyists it’s important to set them up for success

Work out how many plants you’ll need to sell to make back your investment, what’s the local market, are you adept at shipping, are you at/near a shipping hub (direct transport to buyers vs 2-3 transfers of product enroute - realize it can be very difficult to obtain loss/damage shipping refunds from a company once it subcontracts), submerse grown plants are not good shippers ...

Not to dissuade you, just think before you leap :)

As you may guess I’m not much impressed with local amateur aquarium plant sellers - submerse culture plants - re
- loads of various algae’s
- misidentified plants
- per stem prices rivalling Tropica :rolleyes:

As in emerse growth of aquarium plants?

Humidity is an important factor
Light spectrum will impact types of growth
Also some knowledge of botany & what stressors might trigger an aquarium selected plant strain to revert (to less efficient aquatic strains) ... maintenance of “mother” lines is an important aspect of commercial aquarium plant production
Some plant lines are much more stable than others

If you’re selling cheap, then likely most buyers won’t much care overmuch re quality as long as there’s quantity
If you’re selling to new aquarium plant hobbyists it’s important to set them up for success

Work out how many plants you’ll need to sell to make back your investment, what’s the local market, are you adept at shipping, are you at/near a shipping hub (direct transport to buyers vs 2-3 transfers of product enroute - realize it can be very difficult to obtain loss/damage shipping refunds from a company once it subcontracts), submerse grown plants are not good shippers ...

Not to dissuade you, just think before you leap :)

As you may guess I’m not much impressed with local amateur aquarium plant sellers - submerse culture plants - re
- loads of various algae’s
- misidentified plants
- per stem prices rivalling Tropica :rolleyes:
haha
i used to own a 20 ft long by 16ft greenhouse i grew and sold plants in for my business, i am not new to this by far :thumbup:

(if you frequent AquaticPlantCentral i write many articles and documentation(s) on there)

im just looking for light info and types, ty though!

Have you considered LED lamps like GU but Edison Screw but check the mains voltage. Dirt cheap from China via ebay. Each lamp gives a circular foot print and you can rise or lower for intensity. Lamps are typically 3 to 15 Watts each. Some red/blue some full spectrum. Hope this helps.
hmmm this sounds interesting, do you have a link to a specific product?
doing a simple google search i found this
upload_2018-11-7_14-19-0.jpeg

do you think that the spread on that would be wide enough though? i can see using 3 of those per bin...

Beware of bad quality lights from China.

Why don't use those blurple lights that they use for Cannibis?

Back