• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Goldfish poop = nice growth!

kadoxu

20181006_225245.jpg

20180929_120312.jpg

Fantastic tank!
Could you tell us a little more about it?
Is it indoors or outside?
Does this tank take a lot of cleaning or do you leave the poop in there deliberately as plant food?

Fantastic tank!
Could you tell us a little more about it?
Is it indoors or outside?
Does this tank take a lot of cleaning or do you leave the poop in there deliberately as plant food?
Thank you!

So, the tank is in a conservatory.
  • Equipment:
    • Tank & stand - Juwel Rio 240
    • Filter - EHEIM Pro 4+
    • Heater - Hydor 300w Inline heater
      • I keep the tank at 20ºC minimum all year round
    • Air pump - EHEIM Air Pump 400
      • This is connected to a background air curtain
  • Decorations:
    • Plastic plants
      • 3ft Marineland Bamboo
      • 6ft Garland Type plant
    • Planters - all filled with clay pebbles
      • IKEA SUNNERSTA Container - modified with holes in the bottom and spray painted black
      • Hanging herb plant pot
  • Plants:
    • Floaters - all grown in separate tanks and added weekly because goldfish eat most of them
      • Water Lettuce
      • Frogbit
      • Salvinia natans
      • Duckweed
    • Submerged plants - recently added these. I've just put them in the middle of the plastic plants to see if they survive, it also gives a more realistic look to the plants and I wanted the goldfish to have a few more things to nibble on.
      • Elodea Densa
      • Ceratophyllum Demersum
      • Myriophyllum spicatum
    • Emersed plants
      • Spider plant
      • Pothos
  • Fish & inverts
    • Fancy Goldfish
      • Red Pearlscale
      • Red & White Pearlscale
      • Calico Veiltail
      • Red Fantail
      • Calico Fantail
      • Blue Oranda
      • Black Moor
      • Red Telescope
      • White Ryukin
    • Goldfish - these are moved to an outside pond when it's a bit warmer
      • Sarasa Comet
      • London Shubunkin
    • Platies - most of these are also moved outside when it's warmer
    • 3 x Bristlenose Plecos - added recently
    • Ramshorn snails

The lights and air pump are on from 9AM to 6PM. The air curtain, along with the filter output, creates a bit of a tumbling flow which pushes debris into the filter intake while keeping the flow slow enough for the goldfish to swim comfortably.

Maintenance is changing 50% of water and cleaning a bit of algae on the front glass panel every week, and cleaning the filter at least once a month.
I allow algae to grow on the sides and back, because it is good for the the Platies to graze on.
For water changes I've put together some RO tubing with a tap which connects to my garden hose (which slowly fills the tank without affecting water temperature) and a PVC hang on overflow (which drains tank water to the garden).

How are the plants fairing with the goldfish? :) I've been looking at these older threads trying to gather ideas for my planted goldfish tank.

Back