• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Did you find this in your country?

Madhav

just a random forward catch my attention, hope this board is still there at that pet shop
how about in your country? In both countries I born and where I live, are "No"
many LFS will be happily help you with a bowl and a gold fish. huff

Attachments

• goldfish.jpg
    goldfish.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 197
Wow, I really wish more LFS will do this. Really you'd think it would be a no-brainer from a sales perspective, a £5 goldfish selling with a £xxx tank compared to a few quid for a bowl. I have always felt that goldfish are one of the most abused species in the hobby and it's a real shame as they are beautiful and long-lived when kept in the right conditions. My oldest one was 9 years and was huge, almost snapped the net with the weight when I had to catch him on occasion :)

When I ran a lfs I had a 4ft display tank with goldfish with a small note saying how they really needed this space. We sold mostly fancies but had a few normal goldfish for the pond season (the extras at the end of the season came home to my pond). As I was very much a hobbyist and ran but didn't own the business, I turned so many people away when they said they had a small tank. Some I convinced to upgrade to tropical and onto neons, guppies etc, others went temperate with danios but often I got looked at like I was mad and they simply went to the next shop.
So at the end of the day I applaud any effort to educate but many people just don't care, they want their fish and will happily lie to get it. It's not just beginners either, I've heard porky pies from every level of the hobby.

I got looked at like I was mad and they simply went to the next shop.
So at the end of the day I applaud any effort to educate but many people just don't care, they want their fish and will happily lie to get it. It's not just beginners either, I've heard porky pies from every level of the hobby.

i have seen this happen first hand all to much by self proclaimed "expert fish keepers" that own stores.
its very sad.
The shoppers most of the time are just as bad as the scamming owners i must say- they get good advice and disregard it completely even though everyone says "Yes, do this", just one "no they are wrong, you CAN have that fish in a bowl" will "allow" them to do "what they want" (ex have a goldfish in a bowl)

Another thing that should happen is the govt should be lobbied to prevent Goldfish being given away as prizes at fair grounds. As far as I'm aware this is still legal and common practice. An uncle of mine (rest his soul) was partial to having a few beers in the afternoon even at the ripe old age of 75, he somehow ended up on a fair ground and won a Goldfish on a shooting range so when I heard about it I went over to get it which was residing in a glass dish being fed on bread :oops::facepalm: I put it in a spare small tank I had at my mothers house and done the maintenance every Sunday when I was over for lunch. It ended up being part of the family. It grew that fast I had to pick up a 2nd hand Juwel 100ltr tank to house it! I would say it was going on for 10" and about 10 y.o Unfortunately after I lost my mother I had to re-home it with someone with a massive tank full of other large goldfish.

I suspect that this probably happens to about 1% of the "prizes" Unfortunately.

Another thing that should happen is the govt should be lobbied to prevent Goldfish being given away as prizes at fair grounds. As far as I'm aware this is still legal and common practice.
yes unfortunately...
a couple of years ago my daughter went for a field trip through school and came back with a plastic jar full of guppies,
famous "catch all you can in an hour" tour. I had to set up a tank temporarily for them until i give away to someone, guess those kids with no access to tank/spare tank or not kept fish earlier.
that farm & the 1 hour offer is still open for public.

I have always felt that goldfish are one of the most abused species in the hobby

and guppies on the list next to it....

every year we spend so much to see these(attached) and waste lot of energy traveling, snorkeling diving etc. but one simple visit to nearby stores will give you access to all variety of fish, lobster, stingray, tuna, sharks etc..
compare this to god fish abuse, for govt to step in....hmm
8hNCXRE.jpg

Back