• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Air Pump And Diffuser Help

Tommy

Can anyone recommend a good silent air pump for 240ltr tank and also one of those circular diffusers Ive seen in one of George Farmers videos? Thanks :)

Hi Tommy, air pumps are an unusual addition in a planted tank, some folk use them to drive off exsess C02 at night time but that only applies if you have been injecting very hight amounts of C02 in the lighting period.
Perhaps you have seen a twin star working in one of George’s tanks?

Don't think there is one & they all get louder with wear. So I leave mine on a timer overnight. This guy compares four different brands for quietness but none are silent.....

The best and quietest airpumps ever were Rena brand, 301 model, were made in France. They are still available from a place in USA for European volts. You won't find better, been around since the '70's at least.
Edit to add Lime wood airstone intended for air-driven Marine skimmers will give you the finest bubbles

Last edited:
and also one of those circular diffusers Ive seen in one of George Farmers videos
Definitely sounds like you are after a TwinStar. They were mainly developed to deal with algae. But now I think the consensus amongst us planted folk is that they are a very efficient and effective oxygen generator; extra O2 is always welcome, especially in a CO2 injected tank.

Aquarium Gardens sells Twinstar, choose your model according to the size of your tank https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/algae-control-122-c.asp
There is also the Chihiros Doctor (which works just as well) for the more budget conscious, they can be bought from eBay.

Definitely sounds like you are after a TwinStar. They were mainly developed to deal with algae. But now I think the consensus amongst us planted folk is that they are a very efficient and effective oxygen generator; extra O2 is always welcome, especially in a CO2 injected tank.

Aquarium Gardens sells Twinstar, choose your model according to the size of your tank https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/algae-control-122-c.asp
There is also the Chihiros Doctor (which works just as well) for the more budget conscious, they can be bought from eBay.

Yes that's the one mate, thanks for that :)

Hi Tommy, air pumps are an unusual addition in a planted tank, some folk use them to drive off exsess C02 at night time but that only applies if you have been injecting very hight amounts of C02 in the lighting period.

Yes it was the Twinstar mate. :)

Back