• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ada 60P - nature aquarium

Have a nice sunday evening guys!

180930075251548648.jpg

181012075615302554.jpg

Trimming day

Unfortunately female ram died, male still there but eating nothing but 2-3 frozen worms weekly... :(

On the other side, I got one pregnant oto!

IME worm Rams right from the off. I would say 90% need worming. I've been through hundreds of Rams in my time and the second you see white stringy faeces or turning their nose up at food treat straight away. They seem to prefer warmer temps around 26 deg if possible but once they are wormed they are quite voracious feeders and will tackle anything anytime, they always look for food when you're near the tank so if they start picking it's a bad sign.

of bba and overgrown

Filipe Oliveira’s Seachem Excel (or whichever proprietary product he used) scheme works well ;)

I still really like this tank :D

Unfortunately female ram died, male still there but eating nothing but 2-3 frozen worms weekly...
Rapid respiratorion? iridovirus is not uncommon in rams

AWB is correct, they should be outgoing, happy little fish

As the male ram is no longer eating enough for medicated food to be effective (any medication always decreases palatability), you might try a Metronidazole or Praziquantel bath ... I think Metro is better tolerated by most fish, shrimp etc than Prazi

181018035555615431.jpg

Thanks guys for the tips, I'll bring the ram back to the LFS.

As for the algae I'm dosing easylife easycarbo , isn't this the same as excel?

Anyway, I'm trying a new lean fertilisation by Ada since two weeks and things are getting better, even my rotala h'ra is finally turning orange...to be continued.

It seems that my water is way too cold (23 degrees), that may explain that they aren't very active yet

I tend to keep my tanks ~24-25C and haven’t had issue with rams, though haven’t kept any for awhile now as lfs stock hasn’t been great quality - deformed (balloon), hormoned (GIANT size, funky proportions), hybrid (body shape & size of M. altispinosus :wideyed: with dilute M. ramirezi colouring) ...
some of the nicest conformed rams have been in the electric blue color lines (platinum) but I’d really like some nice wild type

Seriously Fish reports 26C - 30C

As for the algae I'm dosing easylife easycarbo , isn't this the same as excel?
In theory - no EasyCarbo available locally so I’ve only used Seachem version, formula is likely similar but may not be identical (though that may be insignificant)

I’ve been remiss with trimming and one tank is in a jungle phase - also haven’t opened the filter in months :eek: - I’ve noticed BBA on the wood recently and dosed Excel at the 5ml/40litres using total tank volume rather than “probable” water column volume

I did syringe (transfer pipette anyway ;)) some Excel directly on the easily accessible BBA on Day 1, then rather forgot about the whole venture for the next month until I saw :eek::eek: a nice furry batch on the same wood - and a neighbouring bit of wood :oops:

Big trim, couple 50% water changes (fish are more comfortable with 2 x 50% rather than a single 70-80% water change), Excel on Day 1 & Day 3 (small - quick! - water change before dosing) ... a week later & the visible BBA seems to have disappeared from the wood ... now I just need to do an epic trim again

I was growing out plants for another tank scape but it’s gotten a bit crazy in there :wideyed:

On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 US gallons). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 US gallons) daily or every other day.

I seldom use Excel and dose Tropica Premium & Specialized daily (most days ;) ) acc. bottle suggestion though I adjust this for plant mass

I tend to keep my tanks ~24-25C and haven’t had issue with rams, though haven’t kept any for awhile now as lfs stock hasn’t been great quality - deformed (balloon), hormoned (GIANT size, funky proportions), hybrid (body shape & size of M. altispinosus :wideyed: with dilute M. ramirezi colouring) ...
some of the nicest conformed rams have been in the electric blue color lines (platinum) but I’d really like some nice wild type

Seriously Fish reports 26C - 30C

Yeah, seems hard to get good looking and healthy one...sadly. Didn't know that those can get worm!

I've got an hydor inline heater now, so the tank is actually at 27C since 3 weeks.

As for the easycarbo, I'll try to overdose one day before waterchange and see what happens. Syringe on affected plants (Hardy ones like anubias or buces) works great.

Thanks again alto!

This is so great. Really nice to see how it's changed over time. Like these journals that have a bit of the frustration as well as the experiments and success. Keep going!

Thanks, no pain no gain :D

Hi there, added 5 hyphessobrycon roseus to the 7 Already that are already in...now the schoal is complete.

Rams unfortunately both died...worm? Surely...Sad experience.

One female otocinclus is full of eggs...nice surprise, would be awesome to have some fry.

Plants are thriving since I use lean ferts (only ada brighty K and some trace mix after WC).
181101043007583316.jpg

Rescape soon...cheers

Back