• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ludwigia var. cuba very rare

mow said

Why is it hard to find this plant in the uk. I paid 15 pounds for one plant outside the uk. Now i have 9 plants after cutting and replating
LRM_EXPORT_20180322_205915.jpg

Attachments

• PSX_20171204_212929.jpg
    PSX_20171204_212929.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 97
Not rare if you have it :cool:

Why is it hard to find this plant in the uk

That's not only in the UK, i can't find it either in my country in the trade, at least not this inclanata var. cuba. I can only find it via private collectors. Tho the L. i. v. verticillata 'Curly' is readily available. I can find some older references that Tropica.com once had in their collection but not any longer. Likely it's to difficult to grow commercialy or not enough into demand to make a profit.

see general L. inclanata information.

That's likely the reason why the market leading nurseries providing 90% of the stores around Eurpoe don't grow it commercialy.
And also the reasom why even lesser known varieties from this plant are even harder to come by. Also it's still very young in popularity, the first written account ever in my owm language dates back 2016.
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/ludwigia-inclinata-var-verticillata-cuba

@zozo i think you are right its not easy to grow but mine is growing like crazy and i think people should start selling this plant as its very beautiful plant in my opinion. Tropical has difficult plants that I couldn't grow but this plant seems easy to grow its a no brainer.
@sparkyweasel that true I might start selling it once it grows larger.
@alto aquasabi is a German company so still hard to get it in the UK.

I've noticed a few recent journals where Aquasabi seems to be the supply vendor so assumed in vitro plants would ship easy enough
(Just going by photos, TC supplier is mainstream so would think UK companies could also arrange import & sale)

I had Tropica's Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata back when, no idea why they dropped it - plant was rated "medium" & seemed easy enough with CO2
It appeared in their Second Edition Tropica Aquarium Plants so sometime around 2004 .... perhaps the "mother" plant line doesn't hold well, or sales just weren't there

Hortilab's Ludwigia inclinata 'curly' is significantly different

Back