• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommend aquarium dimensions

DeiJas

Hello,

time came to order new planted tank, but can't decide on dimensions.
Got a good 3 meters of empty space where I'm planning to put it.
Currently thinking about 60x60x45h (cm), ~150L is quite nice volume I think. Not too small, yet not too big to spend a fortune on fertilizers every day :)
Can you suggest better dimensions for such volume tank? Aprox 150-200L.

It's a personal choice, I'd go to a showroom or two and see what you like.

I wouldn't buy anything where I couldn't comfortably reach the substrate.

Some more clued up people than me can advise on H x W x D ratios that work best for scaping.

I agree 60x60x45 is a nice size (big enough to easily keep stable, small enough maintenance isn't too time consuming).

I've got a 60x45x45cm and find its a great height for the length but like you are looking at, would appreciate a little extra front to back, so 60cm would be perfect. I find it good for smaller fish but if you wanted something a little larger you could add a little extra length.

The EA aquacsaper tank is 60LX50DX36H, the reasoning behind those ratios are that the extra depth means you can get a better sense of perspective so everything isn't crammed up at the front glass adding a sense of depth. From what I understand the height is kept quite low so you can mess about a lot in it without getting your sleeves wet all the time and I believe that shallower tanks have a better surface area to volume which makes for better gas exchange. I think that was the reasoning behind the dims anyway.

I also have a 600x450x450 which is my own personal taste. If you tend to build up your substrate quite high at the back I find the lower height tanks a bit limiting for taller plants but it's whatever floats your boat.

Im going to suggest it would be a shame not to have more width to work with if you have the space. I always use the golden ratio for things like this so... If going 45 high this would be 73cm wide to get your golden ratio for example (pretty much how the EA tanks are designed).

73x45x45 150litres
81x50x50 200litres

Last edited:
Thanks fellas :)
Went with 60x60x45 after all.
Always wanted a cube (well... semi cube, since it's not 60x60x60)
And I've got just a spot for it in a corner, visible from two sides... Can't wait!

If you like it then it's the perfect dimensions ;)

Back