• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wife said ok now what?

Dan Stephano

Seedling
Hi all,
I had so many tanks when younger but boy have times moved on. I'm having fits with lighting. To get my wife into aquariums and in particular planted tanks I bought her a 15 gal tank for her own. Yeah it is small but I can already see she's into it. Which means a bigger tank in my future. Its important this one is successful.
dimensions: 24 inch length 12 inch width 12 inch tall. It came with the bog standard leds. I also added a juwel novolux 60 cm 8 watt led strip.
I have read all the posts saying WPG is out dated so what do I do with LEDS? I cant afford a par meter. Tempted to go back to tube lights just so I know how many watts etc I've got.
Can anyone suggest a decent light for this tank.

Stock: java ferns, crypts, some aponogetans, and maybe a few large leafed lily types.

Much appreciation in advance.

LEDs can be confusing, there is wide variety to choose from, all with different power outputs, colour temperature, etc. The best advice I can give is buy one that either comes with a dimmer or control unit or one that can be retrofitted with either, that way you can control the intensity and therefore plant growth and algae.

Also, take a look at different lights and choose one that you like the colour rendition of, one that makes the critters and plants colours look aesthetically pleasing to you. There are a number of videos out there and on here that will help you with your choice, take a look at this video from Green Aqua for a start...

Hi Dan, your question is a common theme on the forum (I find a good way to search this forum is by useing google but adding ukaps to the question)
However as Tim points out LEDs are largely unknown or very well documented for our use.
Are you adding ferts or C02?

PS do you buy your plants and fish from Pets Paradise?

C02 in jersey has been troublesome so no C02 yet. In the larger tank I will. Yes to pets paradise (besides ransomes its the only game in town), and fertilizer is a yes.
Thank you both for the replies the vids are great for some ideas.

Back