• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Acclimating own fish

I'm 5 min away from an excellent LFS too (Abacus Aquatics). Makes acclimating so so much easier.

Only thing I can add to the thread is that as well as a dark bucket, I drape a towel over the top. And chuck some plants in if I have any loose.

Its very satisfying putting pasty coloured fish in a bucket, dripping water on them for an afternoon without needing to pay any attention, just set and forget.

Then come back and see the colours nice and strong :cigar:

If fish have been in a bag a long time and you open it when you get home, the air reacts with the water and the ammonia turning it into the toxic form for the fish. This is why I prefer the method others are suggesting, as soon as the bag is open pour through the net and put the fish into the tank. The only thing that I let worry me is the temperature. I set the temperature in my car to 24 degrees when I am transporting fish so minimise any temperature change for them when I get home... maybe I'm weird but that's my tactic!

Swapping tank catch it then plop it in. From LFS 15mins bag floating then plop. Though post 30mins then plop. All pre CO2 OFC.
Like Zozo says temps in rivers and lakes vary quite a bit, having fished and waded in to land some of catches there are some pretty big temp changes they have to cope with in nature, same for nutrients from a slow flowing stream full of decaying vegetation when it hits a faster deeper flowing main part of river.

Back