• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI dosing help

Stryda

Seedling
Hello, setting up a new 100 gallon tank, just have a few questions....
It's a converted marine tank, I was hoping to use the lights from this....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Best-Col...hash=item3aad04e1cc:m:mZg6eynfXZeoT18uX4gmO8Q

It's the 108w blue and white version.
Firstly, would this fall under low light for my size tank? And would it be suitable for growth?

Secondly I plan on dosing Glute and EI, I'm guessing I'll be looking at a low-medium setup with regards to ei, carb and the lights? If so what amounts of EI would be a good start? Sure I've read around 1/10th the recommended amounts for a low tech tank.
I plan on doing once weekly water changes.
I also plan on having around 1/3 to 1/2 the tank planted, rest open space.

Any help at all greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Hello, setting up a new 100 gallon tank, just have a few questions....
It's a converted marine tank, I was hoping to use the lights from this....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Best-Col...hash=item3aad04e1cc:m:mZg6eynfXZeoT18uX4gmO8Q

It's the 108w blue and white version.
Firstly, would this fall under low light for my size tank? And would it be suitable for growth?

Secondly I plan on dosing Glute and EI, I'm guessing I'll be looking at a low-medium setup with regards to ei, carb and the lights? If so what amounts of EI would be a good start? Sure I've read around 1/10th the recommended amounts for a low tech tank.
I plan on doing once weekly water changes.
I also plan on having around 1/3 to 1/2 the tank planted, rest open space.

Any help at all greatly appreciated!!
Hi Stryda
Never used EI Dosing before but I will be using it for the first time once I have set up my 55 gallon tank. I think the idea behind EI dosing If I have understood it correctly is to give the plants a large amount of nutrients then do large water changes regularly so they dont build to excessive levels. I think most people dose macro nutrients one day then micro the next to alternate the dosing days and do this for every day of the week. I have heard some people dosing EI ferts and not using Glute/Liquid C02 and still getting great results.
Not much help but just thought I would share my opinion as it sounds like our setups may be similar, low tech using EI dosing and no C02.

Thanks Grant Binnie, yes they do sound similar setups, still undecided on the Glute, as not seen any recent posts on its use. Do you plan on using full EI dosing or a reduced rate? Guess there is no harm dosing full EI if weekly water changes are carried out.

I do plan to use full EI Dosing, I might do reduced dosing to begin with although like you said if big water changes are done weekly then it should be fine. The main thing I am going to remember is reduced lighting period for the first month or so. There is a great thread which I am going to look through again on EI Dosing before just to clarify.

Back