• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Celestial Swamp - A voyage through a flooded forest fringe (Shallow Riparium)

Last edited:
in order to work the UV is only lethal to microorganisms in mm max 1 cm from the lamp. In chinese fabrication this could be less;)

The light is directly under the main bean animal drain so every bit of water that flows through the system is treated... then again the velocity of the water may affect dwell time...

I will take a picture of the tank today for 24hr comparison...

I just gotta keep my kids and dogs away from it...

24 hours later... woooooooo!!!

43255352025_1056e8b26d_b.jpg

Wow! Massive difference

Of course this is by no means a scientific test but I really don't know what else could have solved the problem besides the UV light. I only had time to snap a quick picture and I had to leave again so I don't know if there are any other ill effects from the light to my set up and the inhabitants

I'm with Ed on this.. :) Don't panic, such a rather harmless Bacterial bloom usualy goes away on it's own again. It can occure if the balance gets disrupted from for example if substrate is disturbed and a food source for the bacteria is released into the water column. It aslo can occure without advance notice. The bacteria can reproduce in vast numbers in an extremely short periode making the water look cloudy. That's why it often reoccures within a few hours after a water change, very frustrating. :) ANd actualy just a guess what the real cause is..

I've had it too a few times in the past with different tanks. Just don't panic and don't get frustrated and wait it out, going on with your regular schedule as always and it balances out again in time. And never used a UV light in my life.

It's he same as the sudden surface skum biofilm, a simmular bacterial bloom but than on the surface.. Same story it can occure any time without advance notice hold on a week or 2 and goes away again.

Sorry busy night...

I'll get a photo up today... it's crazy how clear it is...

Whatever the issue was it may have contributed to some kind of deficiency in the older leaves of the hygrophila polysperma... bottom leaves have major pinholes that I haven't seen before... lack of light probably... the water was pretty turbid during the dark times before the coming of the light...

I don't know if I have ever posted my fertz schedule... I use Tom barr' s non-co2 method and his recommendations.. . I'm thinking I may need to up the numbers... or at least actually do it... I forget sometimes or all the time ;)

Monday / Thursday

EQUILIBRIUM ● 3 dash
KNO3 ● 2 dash
KH2PO4 ● 1 pinch + 1 nip

Wednesday/ Saturday

EDTA Fe ● 1 dash

looking great, plants dont look to bad at all, when i feel my plants may be suffering i just increase all ferts by 25% or so and see if the improve, with the increase I also try to make sure I do a 50% WC weekly

I am on holiday at the moment, but when I return I will be doing a full bevy of water testing to see where I am at... I will make a fish count and list the current flora and fauna in the tank...

I was thinking of switching to an all in one fert like Thrive to make it easier... dosing with dry ferts isn't that hard but a simple squirt would make it so I had no excuse actually do it...

I will also be adding a school of Microdevario kubotai and more otociclus this week and move the CPDs that are down in the sump up into the display tank. Of course I will need to capture the few Glowlight Danio that terrorize the other fish and move them to the sump where they can spend the rest of there days patroling for planaria etc.... maybe then it will be a little calmer and happy up there...

Back