• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Remote camera

Aqua360

I've often read about remote camera's in aquaria for people going on holiday etc, but I wondered if anyone knew about a somewhat cost efficient method for those of us that wouldn't mind checking in on our fish etc via our phone during the day?

Not so long ago a simular question was asked.. And the most cost effective method you can use is if you have a notebook with a web cam build in or externaly connected via usb, than a desktop also can be used. Leave the computer running and install something like Teamviewer
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

This is secure remote controll or remote assistant software for personal use. Install this software and set administartive credentials with a secure password and run it as service. Install the teamviewer client on your phone..

Teamviewer gives you an ID number than say to the client on your phone connect to this id, give your personal password and as long as the PC runs and has internet access you have remote access, via the phone as if you were sitting at it. Start the web cam and watch.

It is best to set the home PC Energy settings never to go into hibernation.. In some cases it can occur that the PC fails to wake up when it recieves a Teamviewer access request. It actualy should wake up, but occasionaly it can fail that the network driver refuses to wake up. So setting never hibernate is best fail safe. In case of a windows there is a network driver setting in device mannagment. "Do not shut down this device to safe energy". These are little things to thinker about when you leave a PC switched on long term. Another small thing is, if it is WIFI, you might be beter off to connect it wired with a LAN cable to the network for the time you are away. Wifi sometimes can have connection issues, that LAN cable dont have. In theory it shouldnt be an issue, but in reality you never know, the only thin that can happen is no conection. And thereis nothing you can do if you're not at home.

if a shutdown crash occurs and the PC doesnt auto reboot you are out. This depends on your PC's health condition. If all is ok and set correctly it should keep running indefinitely.

There are also options with Wake On Lan devices to remotely startup a PC in case it crashed and shut down and didnt restart mean while not at home. But this, not that it is realy difficult, but it is a bit more advanced stuff i will not go into any further for now.. Just in case so you know, it all can be done.. :)

Last edited:
Not so long ago a simular question was asked.. And the most cost effective method you can use is if you have a notebook with a web cam build in or externaly connected via usb, than a desktop also can be used. Leave the computer running and install something like Teamviewer
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

This is secure remote controll or remote assistant software for personal use. Install this software and set administartive credentials with a secure password and run it as service. Install the teamviewer client on your phone..

Teamviewer gives you an ID number than say to the client on your phone connect to this id, give your personal password and as long as the PC runs and has internet access you have remote access, via the phone as if you were sitting at it. Start the web cam and watch.

It is best to set the home PC Energy settings never to go into hibernation.. In some cases it can occur that the PC fails to wake up when it recieves a Teamviewer access request. It actualy should wake up, but occasionaly it can fail that the network driver refuses to wake up. So setting never hibernate is best fail safe. In case of a windows there is a network driver setting in device mannagment. "Do not shut down this device to safe energy". These are little things to thinker about when you leave a PC switched on long term. Another small thing is, if it is WIFI, you might be beter off to connect it wired with a LAN cable to the network for the time you are away. Wifi sometimes can have connection issues, that LAN cable dont have. In theory it shouldnt be an issue, but in reality you never know, the only thin that can happen is no conection. And thereis nothing you can do if you're not at home.

if a shutdown crash occurs and the PC doesnt auto reboot you are out. This depends on your PC's health condition. If all is ok and set correctly it should keep running indefinitely.

There are also options with Wake On Lan devices to remotely startup a PC in case it crashed and shut down and didnt restart mean while not at home. But this, not that it is realy difficult, but it is a bit more advanced stuff i will not go into any further for now.. Just in case so you know, it all can be done.. :)

I also seen a TMC in-tank nano camera, just have to wait for a windfall of cash before I go down that road lol

I have some Blink cameras for home security, just so happens one of them can also see the fish tank so I can have some peace of mind.

I use a free software on my macbook called AtHome. You can setup multiple cameras and view them from your phone.

Works pretty well and you can even talk to the fish...lol

Back