• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Product Review ADA | WASMAS | ZETLIGHT | TWINSTAR | CHIHIROS | LED PAR DATA [The power of light]

Thank you for your detailed explanation. Your shop could not be any more beautiful. I would love to visit someday. Thanks to your thread, I have purchased two Chihiros A601's and am very happy with them. Still playing with ADA Branchwood to finalize my layout.
I see that you also use them in your shop. Have you tested the Chihiros units on the 90P and the 60P? I am especially curious about the 60P.

It's not my shop! It's a very nice shop, Rui and Sónia (Miguel Reis also) run Aqueden shop to perfection.
Me and Nuno made this test because we love the hobby and we are curiosos about everything.
The aquascaping shop's have lot's of patience to deal with us, we all love the hobby.
Cheers
Tiago

Great article, makes a very interesting read.
Just came across the Licah Light, is it on the list of lights to test?

Has anyone bought one? Reading the articles section of the website it sounds like the owner has a real interest in planted tanks.

http://licahtech.com
LDP_01.jpg

Twinstar 600E with 33W has 310 PAR
and
Chihiros RGB 60 with 40W has 184 PAR

Chihiros has an higher power consumption but a lower PAR :-/

Thanks for providing data on the twinstar 900. Couldn't find the data anywhere! Also for some reason ukaps isn't indexed by google search.

Is it worth splashing for the Twinstar 600s over say 2 chihiros rgb? As far as I can see that would be same but a lot cheaper - plus they can dim? I guess they would need hanging to be decent looking though? And they seem to waste 10w in heat per unit over the Twinstar?

Is it worth splashing for the Twinstar 600s over say 2 chihiros rgb? As far as I can see that would be same but a lot cheaper - plus they can dim?

I have a chihiros RGB and the light is good but the fittings are what you pay for 'cheap' I would go for the twinstar if your pockets are deep enough much much neater on tank and sold fittings plus great light if you like the colour, as for dimming get Hinterfeld Smart Controller add sunrise & sunset to your LED light for the twinstar, Andrew B. did a post on what adaptor to get and hes very happy with it.

Thanks guys.

Yeah I get that, believer of that too within reason as I know products are marketed for certain levels too so just wanted to be sure the Chihiros quality wasn’t there. I have another small Chihiros c series and actually it’s really impressed me but it sure gets hot.

Twinstar does look slick I agree - is the S worth the extra punt?

wait, a cheap chinese knock off isn't as good? As saying goes, buy cheap buy twice.

I'm not sure who I would put my money on between manufacturing in China and Korea. Personally, I think it all comes down to quality control and quality of components.
I've had some real crap manufactured in Germany, disadvantage then is that its blahblahblahblah and expensive.

If we're talking about copies lets not mention Lego..

Does make sense that to an extent Barbara I agree. You’ve got to be realistic and say that plenty of top manufacturers like Bose Dyson and Apple produce globally so you can’t generalize all Chinese copies are crap - and like you said Twinstar is Korea so pretty similar manufacturing.

There is plenty of cheaper knock off stuff though produced which can be much lesser quality, it’s knowing which isn’t it.

If it’s better quality all around though then TS does sound good!! Looking at whether the E is plenty or if the S is really worth the extra?

Okay so I'm sorry that I bump this up, but I'm not sure I understood this right.
If I buy Chihiros rgb 90cm for a 90 by 45 by 45 tank. And I run the light 10 cm from water suface at dimmer level 3, I'll get about 67 PAR?

Because thats really strong. I saw people who run 2 chihiros rgb unites side by side. By why do that when with 1 unite you can get 122 PAR already at level 5...

Hi Johny,
PAR is just a way to compare different lights.
You can work with high energy, low energy or something between...
Depends on what you want, at what speed and cost...
Take o look of amazing tanks here in UKAPS with low light, also with high light (but they tend to be more hard work).

Two fixtures (side by side) is used to give a better light distribution in all tank.
IMO it's important that you get a fixture that you like to watch, the color of light that you feel good for your space where the tank is.
Cheers

Also how big increase in PAR can you expect if you mount to Chihiros RGB60 side by side? With their dobble hang on kit.

Like this: =
Not like this: _ _

I try to figure out if I should put one or two RGB60 on a 80x40x40 (cm) tank, to grow carpeting plants like MC and HC.

Thanks.

There would be no increase in PAR in mounting as PAR is the power of the light to penetrate the water not in having a doubling up of the light. I have spent many years helping hobbyist in my club getting the proper light for their tank.:)

Also how big increase in PAR can you expect if you mount to Chihiros RGB60 side by side? With their dobble hang on kit.

I would of said up to double with two lights dependant on how close they was to each other

There would be no increase in PAR in mounting as PAR is the power of the light to penetrate the water not in having a doubling up of the light

Agree mounting makes no difference but two lights another story OFC or lowering/raising the light to the tank changes PAR at substrate level

Back