• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

In tank diffuser for larger tank - effective?

Surya

I'm considering setting up pressurised CO2 for my tank, which is the 240 litre Fluval Roma. It has an external filter but it comes through the base of the tank and apparently the tubing is not compatible... and I'm just not keen on cutting up the tubing and messing with it. I was planning to get the bundle sold by Aquarium Gardens which comes with the Neo in-tank diffuser in the large size, which is apparently for aquariums up to 300 litres. But then I've been reading past threads which suggest in-tank diffusers are ineffective in tanks this size.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I guess it depends on your turnover rate for distribution of the co2 around the tank and placement of the diffuser...

Thanks. I have a Fluval 406 external which is 1450 lph turnover, so about 6x tank volume. I can place the diffuser anywhere in the tank.

You will just have to try it and see, 240lt is going to eat a lot of C02 regaurless of the method and I don’t think an in tank diffuser is the most efficient but it might work for you.

Thanks. Considering just sticking with low tech now. I have decent growth, just very slow, and no algae. Pressurised CO2 seems to throw up a whole world of complications that I hadn't even thought about.

Well I can understand your reservations especially considering the amount of problems people report on this forum.
However, most problems are based around useing too much light.
Adding low amounts of C02, keeping your lights the same and useing a simple fertilising regime should not complicate things too much but add some extra vigour to the tanks appearance.

Thinking of everything I have learned esp as regards CO2 is as nutrients is important is getting it all around the aquarium with good flow and distribution. Definetly sees off algae too. The experts keep telling us we keep listening---

Thanks for responses. The whole set up will cost £150 plus £12 for each 2kg fire extinguisher through a local source. In your experiences, will it be worth it (ie make a noticeable difference) to add this via an in tank diffuser, if this is my only real option? Or will it probably be so ineffective as to not be worth the expense and bother? I know every tank is different but I mean the questions as a sort of WWYD. Current tank photo attached. I have the Fluval Plant 3.0 so can adjust light as needed, and use Profito / Flourish but this can be changed.
IMG_20180824_224255986_HDR.jpg

plants look healthy, no algae, why change it?
You might regret going down the co2 route, especially as the tank is doing fine without, spend the money on some more plants or fish or something else you really want.

I was under the same impression with co2. Had a low tech setup with with slow steady growth, all be it with a few co2 issues. Took the plung and added a fe setup, growth has improved dramatically. I don't add a massive amount of co2 and light is still set to the same as it was when I was low tech but the co2 helps a great deal. I believe tropica done an experiment and even increasing co2 to say 15ppm at low light helps a lot. It may seem expensive but once you've purchased the setup it should last forever really.

How long has your tank been setup?

Cheers, conor

I was under the same impression with co2. Had a low tech setup with with slow steady growth, all be it with a few co2 issues. Took the plung and added a fe setup, growth has improved dramatically. I don't add a massive amount of co2 and light is still set to the same as it was when I was low tech but the co2 helps a great deal. I believe tropica done an experiment and even increasing co2 to say 15ppm at low light helps a lot. It may seem expensive but once you've purchased the setup it should last forever really.

How long has your tank been setup?

Cheers, conor

Thanks Conor. That's what I had in mind for mine, it's good to know you've found it helps. Can I ask what size tank you have and what diffuser device you use? And what ppm you aim for? Would love to see a picture of your tank.

Oh, just had a thought. I have a spare external filter (Fluval 306) that I could rig up if there is a reliable way of running the CO2 through the inlet?

Thanks Conor. That's what I had in mind for mine, it's good to know you've found it helps. Can I ask what size tank you have and what diffuser device you use? And what ppm you aim for? Would love to see a picture of your tank.
Tanks a custom made 160l. Using a inline diffuser from co2 art linked up to a tetra tec 800. Seems to be doing the job alright. Using your spare fluval with one would do the trick.

As for co2 drop checker is green to almost lime green. Was pretty much yellow previously but there was no need with the plants I've got. Most of my plants aren't stems so no need for really high co2. Will have to try and get a pic at some point but is not much to look at in regards to aqua scaping. Was more to see how I could grow plants first. Got half an idea now so will rescape in the future.

Cheers

Some of the 6 foot+ tanks in the ADA gallery use in tank diffusers. Their tanks are incredible, showing that in tank diffusers are definitely effective. You just need proper flow and distribution.

Back