• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

pH Profile

agol77

Hi all

I produced a pH profile yesterday for my new set up (Journal - https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/slow-grower.53816/), and am wondering how best to tweak it.

I didn't achieve the full 1 point pH drop until two hours after lights on, but after five and half hours into the eight hour photo period, the drop checker had turned yellow, so not sure if this could lead to livestock issues. There's nothing other than plants in there at the moment, so am free to experiment, to get it right.

I am using an Aquario Neo diffuser, have what looks like decent flow, with a good amount of surface agitation from the filter outlets. I do have an old Aqua Medic 1000 reactor that I could use, but was never really a fan of it when I used it in the past, as it was a bit leaky and seemed to reduced flow, even with the bio balls removed.

Would it be better to turn the CO2 on a bit earlier, increase the bubble rate, and/or
try a different method of gas input?

Cheers

Andrew

59ff4cd7ae052f8804eecf27ce673214.jpg
598681379f0e7da3065ccabc61f7d7df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work and graph too:thumbup:

Getting the 1.0pH drop then lights on and then steady is a hard one but your on the right track. Think for your injection/flow etc your BPS is a little high and needs a bit longer before lights on, I have one tank that takes 3hrs and so do others. The 2hrs is only a guide.
Rinse repeat with adjustments till your happy with it, it takes many adjustments and reruns. But after a while you will be doing pre CO2, lights on and CO2 off pH readings only

Thanks Zeus. I do enjoy a nice bar chart! My poor Labrador didn’t enjoy the day though, as he couldn’t understand why we were just doing 20 minute jogs around the garden, instead of our usual two hour strolls in the woods. Being tied to a pH pen all day was no fun, so glad to hear that eventually I can just do it at the beginning and end of the day.

Thanks for the suggestion about how to tweak things. The BPS are pretty high at the minute, so will reduce the output a bit, and make the CO2 come on an hour earlier. I’ll do another profile tomorrow, but probably won’t do it every 30 minutes this time! I’ll let you know how it goes.

I used a Hanna Combo pH and EC meter. I borrowed it from work, so not sure if it’s a good one, or not. It was freshly calibrated, and seemed to do the job.

541da798fceacfc75418469fa43465a5.jpg

I used a Hanna Combo pH and EC meter. I borrowed it from work, so not sure if it’s a good one, or not. It was freshly calibrated, and seemed to do the job.

541da798fceacfc75418469fa43465a5.jpg

It's a good one :thumbup: same as mine ;)

Back