• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First timer NEWA Mirabello 60

I think that’ll be much better. Stop them reacting.

Will be interesting to see if you notice a difference in a couple of weeks of splitting them up. :)

Fertilization - I use Tropica so dose both “micro” & “macro” at the same time, daily

Why the macro and micro at the same time? Don’t they interact with each other?

Not necessarily
Consider Evolution Aqua (& similar) AIO fertilizer, how cloudy does it look? any precipitation upon addition to tank?

While I agree that in rare instances, micro & macro fertilizers may result in a precipitation event, this should not be an issue with proper (suitable) formulations

If you prefer to do separate day additions for macro & micro fertilizers, do so :D

If I’m fertilizing daily, then I prefer to add both micro (my tap water is extremely soft) & macro (I prefer ADA concept of limited water column dosing)

Yes Don’t the proprietary manufacturers add something to stop them reacting? Hence all in in one bottle (or maybe 3 with some makers!)

I assumed Niton was making his own. Maybe incorrect???

Nothing is added to prevent reaction
- rather it’s just selection of suitable accessory salts/formulations/complexes

I’m losing my terminology :oops:

If you prefer to do separate day additions for macro & micro fertilizers, do so :D

If I’m fertilizing daily, then I prefer to add both micro (my tap water is extremely soft) & macro (I prefer ADA concept of limited water column dosing)

I reduced dosing to 2.5ml of each and have gone up to 5ml today. Will stick with 5ml for a few days and go up 7.5.

The instructions recommend 10ml for a 50l tank but I've read this is for high tech tanks. Will up the dose slowly to something towards recommended levels and see how it goes.

Sounds a good plan. If you’ve got your eye in and can spot issues you play with it to get the balance right for your tank.

Apologies if I confused things earlier!

Really interesting Journal. Interested to see how your tank develops. I am going to be using EI Dosing method for my tank when it is set up and no C02 also. I have had plants melt and look just like yours in the pictures so I will be watching this Journal closely for tips. Keep up the good work.

Not too much to update you all with.
I did a big clean up and removed the worst of the affected leaves. Seem to be able to get away with alternative day water changes and going on to the alternate Dosing EI.

Automation wise I've got the raspberry pi now wired up and running reef pi. I've also got a temperature probe wired in so that is controlling the heating side of things.

A couple of pictures of the reef pi setup.
The key enabler is a 4 switch relay that allows switching of mains powered devices from the otherwise 5v raspberry pi. All my equipment is attached to a relay and is accessible via the reef pi ui to be turned on or off.

IMG_20180817_203201.jpg IMG_20180817_203240.jpg

The reef pi ui... Not the best but its certainly functional.
Screenshot_20180819-164621.png

A couple of photos of the tank in general still some signs of new growth. Albeit slow!

IMG_20180818_203852.jpg IMG_20180818_203929.jpg

Still signs of new growth and I'm keeping on top of the algae (mostly) with 50% water changes every two days.
Dosing EI with 3ml Macro and 3ml Micro daily.

To help keep on top of the algae I'm hoping to get a couple of Amano shrimp over the weekend (as long as the bits arrive for me to make a drip acclimator!).

I'm considering trying some DIY CO2 to see if it will speed up the current slow growth... have posted in the CO2 forum but would welcome any advice here too https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/diy-co2-60l-advice-appreciated.53845/

Really deflated update. I've lost 3 of the 5 shrimp since Saturday afternoon.

1 never took to being introduced to the tank and was almost immediately lying on its side at the bottom of the tank. The remaining 4 then looked to be happy and active exploring the tank and feeding.
Lost the next one over night on Saturday so not sure if it was exhibiting any signs of distress and lost another through the night last night.

Generally the shrimp have seemed happy and moving freely around the tank.

Anyone have any ideas on what might have caused the losses? I've not done any water changes since introducing the shrimp and have dosed EI frets on alternate days.

As I say really disappointing...

This weeks update....

Lost no more of the original batch of Amanos. Decided not to change water for the majority of the week and does EI as per normal use. The remaining 2 shrimp have been fince since (crosses-fingers) and have been supplemented by the addition of another 2 Amano shrimp and 6 Cherry Shrimp. I drip acclimated them for a lot longer and checked water parameters were pretty much equal before releasing them. So far all but one of the Cherry Shrimp have survived the transition and both new Amano shrimp are fine.

Hoping that sticking to the regime of 50% water change once a week and EI dosing as per recommended levels will be successful from this point forward. Going to run the tank like that for a couple of weeks before adding any fish.

A couple of latest photos:

IMG_20180903_221542.jpg
RCS and Amano

IMG_20180903_221602.jpg
One of the original Amano
IMG_20180903_221623.jpg
Front of tank

IMG_20180903_221641.jpg
Rear of tank

IMG_20180903_221750.jpg
Cherry Shrimp closeup

IMG_20180903_221803.jpg
Amano Shrimp closeup

What a difference a few months makes.

Condensed update...

Replaced the filter that came with the tank for a fluval u3.

Injecting co2 (diy citric acid) at roughly 1 bubble every 3 seconds (on 24/7).

Added chihiros doctor 3 in 1.

Running reef pi (https://reef-pi.github.io) to control light and co2 periods (via solenoid).

I've got a pair of otocinclus and 10 rcs, 2 amano shrimp and about 20 blue leopard ramshorn snails. Will be adding more fish in the coming weeks.

Here are some photos from today after a water change.

IMG_20190105_212203.jpg IMG_20190105_212322.jpg IMG_20190105_212258.jpg IMG_20190105_212237.jpg IMG_20190105_212221.jpg

After struggling with staghorn algae and some citric acid diy co2 I have switched to a Twinstar 600e LED light. Having that on 30% power for a photo period of 6 hours really seems to have allowed the tank to balance and I'm seeing next to no staghorn algae. Still have a tiny bit of BBA on one crypt but otherwise I'm really pleased with things.

I added 8 neon tetra and 4 guppies (1 male and 3 female). Yesterday I spotted a pair of guppy fry.

It's probably not too impressive to a lot of members but I'm really pleased with how far the tank has come and how much I have been able to learn around plant and livestock care.

Don't have any major plans for quite some time for this tank. I'll pop in here every now and again with some new pictures.

Here are a few recent photos..
IMG_20190224_185201.jpg IMG_20190218_174138.jpg IMG_20190303_204649.jpg IMG_20190310_171338.jpg

Back