• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water change temperature

SDIESEL77

Hi,
Probably a really stupid question but is Water change temperature important?
I always though so but recently I met 2 guys who told me they always put new water straight from the garden tap cold.

I'm now just asking as I'll have to change around 60L/week with my new tank from next week and that would make things a lot easier than checking correct water temp in each containers...

Thx

If I'm within 2 degrees C then I'll go in with a lift pump and hose and allow the water to mix gradually in the tank as opposed to dumping right in from the barrel.

Anything more than that and I'll pop a couple heaters in for ten mins. I more often than not prepare my water a few days before and sit the barrels by the tank as room temp here is always 23c and they'll level out over night.

I don't keep any sensitive species anyhow.

It depends how much you are changing, the temp difference and how quick you refill. Sometimes it doesn't actually change the tank temp as much as you'd think so it doesn't cause a problem.

I just use the tap with an adaptor as you shown, and adjust the temperature to the desired 22 degrees.

For my community tank I just dump in the water. The fish seem to like it and the cories will often start spawning. I run this tank on the cool side, 22 celsius. I wouldn't do it to gouramis.
I do the same with the bettas, sorry guys!
The shrimp on the other hand - I let the water sit to room temperature and add it gradually over the space of two days.

I agree with Techfool, it depends on your livestock; some critters love an influx of cold water, others get stressed and prone to disease.
Most barbs and danios and many rainbowfish like it, and will come and play in the cold current.

If re-filling the tank from the tap,,it's not too difficult with Python water changer tool to adjust temp by mixing warm and cold.
If refilling from tub or barrel where water is stored,It's not too difficult to plug in a heater a day before using the water.
If they are simply hooking a hose to cold water spigot then some tropical's might not care for it, while other's as mentioned might not mind so much(cory's.pleco's,Barb's)

For my community tank I just dump in the water. The fish seem to like it and the cories will often start spawning. I run this tank on the cool side, 22 celsius. I wouldn't do it to gouramis.
The shrimp on the other hand - I let the water sit to room temperature and add it gradually over the space of two days.

This is exactly my philosophy - in the wild when heavy, cooler rains come and saturate waterways it would be no different to what we do when we change the water - to an extent.

Same for me more or less.. And i have Trichopsis pumiila.. Keep the tank around 22 to 23°C.. During the summer time as is now with a darn long heatwave, the tank is at a 26 to 28°C.. And fortunately our water company assures us they never will be Chlorine etc. in the tap water. So i can change directly from the tap. If i do a 50 to 60% WC the temp depending on the actual present tank temp maybe lower max 4 degrees. During the winter it can drop to 19°C after a water change. I do refill a bit slower at realy cold days in the winter.. The fish do not seem to mind it, they come and play in the splashing fresh water from the spraybar chasing the airbubbles. :) I never experienced any issues other than they look over joyed.. And i actualy never tracked the time but it's back to normal temp again within 2 hours.

I guess in nature especialy in the tropics were rainfall can be pretty wild.. It's pretty chilly water coming from up high. At least i've been to Africa ones and experienced a crazy rain spout with water drops almost as big as chicken eggs and it was darn chilly. And seen a small stream in a 2 meter deep flood channel fill up in minutes with tons of water comming down the hill. That was quite a rage.. What about the fish?. I have no idea actualy, but have a hunge that evolution made them resistant against the temp swings comming with that. :)

[QUOTE = "zozo, post: 530556, miembro: 13448"] Y, afortunadamente, nuestra compañía de agua nos asegura que nunca serán cloro, etc. en el agua del grifo. [/ CITAR] :wideyed::loca:: banghead:: banghead:: banghead:

I don't have any large tanks so tend to change 25ltrs at a time which is coincidentally the volume of the homebrew fermenting bin I use for water changes. My tanks are usually around 23/24 degrees so I find boiling a full kettle minus the cup full of water I use to make a coffee with then topped up with cold water from the tap tends to get me within a degree or two of what's in the tank. Slowly refill the tank while enjoying the coffee. Everyone's happy.

I have a bar type shower mixer valve fitted under the sink, just sitting in a simple holder connected with flexible hoses. Just use a garden hose connector on the outlet set the temperature and your good to go. Also run it through a three stage water filter sitting below the valve to take out the nasties.

Back