• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dissastisfied with filter. Dont want external though. Suggestions invited.

An article worth reading (carefully)

I'm an ardent (a Eheim) canister fan but Seachem tidal filters have been well received so you might investigate these

The major challenge with hang on tank filters is "pulling" (water, particles) from the tank bottom: most canister filters have deep intakes, hang-on-tank filters tend to have shallow intakes - or if extended intake, there's very little "pull"
If you invest into strongest pump (not necessarily the same as the greatest flow rate pump) this should help manage the tank flow dynamics ...

Juwel design filters are more efficient that the (internal) path that Fluval has chosen (oddly - as they used to do an awesome in-tank filter BUT this filter was only included on their more expensive Tropiquarium series)

I didn't look at the linked Aquael - so far my experience has been smoking Aquael Heaters (completely melted while in tank - what a smell :eek:) & irritating internal filters (restart fun & games after every water change - in shop situation, so no time to babysit filters on 50 tanks)
I read the article, but must reread it again. I never did well at Chemistry in school and equations seem to throw me into a panic and always got it wrong when doing the practical write up. I quite like the look of the seachem tidal. I want to look at how much cutting is involved, if its not a neat job it might be better to just get a juwel filter and cut up my fluval media to fit. Im also setting up a tank for my granddaughters, and considering the filtration possiblities.

No love for simple air driven sponges? Not co2 cost effective admittedly...
I have been in the habit of keeping one running in the corner of every tank. Not as the main filtration but for a couple of reasons. 1. you have a mature filter to hand for a quarantine or fry tank. 2. The shrimp love to graze it. 3. I increase the air pump when its hot like this, as I thought agitating the surface aided oxygen exchange. I can see why you think it might push out my co2, but at the side of it I have a little powerhead that sends the CO2 against the front glass, then it drifts towards the other power head and filter which send it back to where it came from. My plants are happy with what they are getting and the diatoms have now gone.

I actually like air driven filters.

Back