• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

El natural hairgrass

Soilwork

Left a tub outside last summer with a bit of soil in it and some eco complete.

F2D58341-0035-4F80-95A5-4D6931BA2998.jpeg

Moved it the other day to find a carpet of hairgrass haha. Bucket was covered with snow and ice of the winter. I wonder what the PAR is at the substrate?

17004EC4-CF96-4D68-9FEE-DD5C4688DA59.jpeg

last summer I set up a "Springwatch" pond not a washing up bowl a old toybox 12" deep and put some canal plants in. never even thought about it with the winter,beast from east and freezing temps, in late spring noticed most survived and now some growing emmersed incuding moss

I think it grows natively (UK). I have (had) a tray outside, but a blackbird pulled a lot up to make a space for a bath - I imagine it will grow back though.

It just shows a different side to what is commonly thought is required to grow this plant. It’s amazing what happens if you just leave things be.

It's a Spike-rush family, almost all are cosmopolitan. The eleocharis acicularis definitively is.

Back