• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape First time hardscaping

notmysign

This is my first time aquascaping and I would like to know what you think about my attempt. What would you change? With the plants I’m planning to use, how would you arrange them with my layout?
Plants I plan to use:

Micranthemum Monte Carlo
Pogostemon helferi
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Rotala Vietnam H ra

And maybe some moss on the rocks.

Cheers
D

Attachments

• 8E0ED5B1-A9FC-4753-935D-5D05F95BEE41.jpeg
    8E0ED5B1-A9FC-4753-935D-5D05F95BEE41.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 250
Hi
I like the right side with the exception of the stone front left of the big one I will rotate it to follow the curv the other 2 little ones are having and will give a slight curv in the path too.(Hope U get My idea as find it difficult to explain myself properly without editing the pic.lol) .The left needs work.The big stone on left is too simular and same height as your focal stone on left .Try to push it a bit deeper maybe.The line with small stones are going to disappear in the Monte Carlo with time and look a bit out of place the way U lined them up.Do U have enough space behind the stones and the window.It may be difficult to get good flow in lower parts if too close to the glass and is possible the Rotala to struggle if U let it grow too tall.
As for plants
Micranthemum Monte Carlo- front carpet
Pogostemon helferi - near base of the rocks
Hydrocotyle verticillata -havent grow it so someone else will advice
Rotala Vietnam H ra-back behind the focal stone.
Have U supported the soil in any way.It is possible to slide down especially if U have shrimp as they are very good at moving it.The monte carlo will help to hold it in place once it griws in.Are U doing dry start or flooding from day one.
Regards Konsa

notmysign

The RH side is by far the best except for one small stone front center at the moment it does not work in with that group of stones.

The LH side that is just not working. Big stone too far back to allow plants to grow behind and at the side. Changes definitely required there. Its also about the same height as the RH large rock but easily fixed lay it down (not yet)

All those small stone were very carefully laid in a curved line (a very common fault) should be removed.

That will leave only that large stone to be laid down possibly on its flat side and relocated in the LH side but lower down.

Keith:wave::wave:

Thanks for everyone’s reply and criticism, I have moved the left stones more to the front and pushed them deeper, they are in fact two stones that is put together which I thought was better since all my stones was so hard to match with each other. I removed the front stone on the right side as suggested and I think it looks better to.
I will try to place a few more stones around the bigger ones. But that means I have to smash bigger rocks that I didn’t find suitable with my current hardscape.
The picture I have posted is the first view you get when you enter my living room.

Attachments

• 736BC752-946D-49B2-9890-FA5EF1DD34A8.jpeg
    736BC752-946D-49B2-9890-FA5EF1DD34A8.jpeg
    662.6 KB · Views: 145
How do stones not match?
Have you tried cleaning
- with bleach
- with acid (I use strong vinegar as it's very "safe" albeit rather slower than muriatic (hydrchloric) acid - muriatic acid to must be done outside re fumes & requires protective clothing, gloves, face shield - though I've seen it (frequently) done with none of precautions of course - the used solution must also be neutralized before being poured away - lots of dilution with water is NOT suitable disposal)
Local shops have very limited hardscape options ... I finally bought a box of rather ugly "mini-landscape" type rock, none of which looked very nice or matched in the least - after extensive cleaning, it's quite amazing how nice the stone looks :wideyed:

Often the "unmatch" of stones disappears when tank is established, I'd focus more on shape etc
You can also add moss & rheophyte plants to distract from stone inadequacies :cool:

You can see unmatched stone in top IAPLC tanks :)

notmysign

I will try to place a few more stones around the bigger ones

Why? It looks very good as it is now more stones could easily mean over crowded and become just another rocky tank.

I would still like to see the LH rock on its flat side, in about the same location.

You have a very nice set up there only one big concerns those two picture frames could be affected by the moisture of the tank as they are directly above the open tank.

How do stones not match?
Have you tried cleaning
- with bleach
- with acid (I use strong vinegar as it's very "safe" albeit rather slower than muriatic (hydrchloric) acid - muriatic acid to must be done outside re fumes & requires protective clothing, gloves, face shield - though I've seen it (frequently) done with none of precautions of course - the used solution must also be neutralized before being poured away - lots of dilution with water is NOT suitable disposal)
Local shops have very limited hardscape options ... I finally bought a box of rather ugly "mini-landscape" type rock, none of which looked very nice or matched in the least - after extensive cleaning, it's quite amazing how nice the stone looks :wideyed:

Often the "unmatch" of stones disappears when tank is established, I'd focus more on shape etc
You can also add moss & rheophyte plants to distract from stone inadequacies :cool:

You can see unmatched stone in top IAPLC tanks :)

I used muriatic acid on my stones. Muriatic acid and other acids that alter pH is something i work with daily ( water treatment plant )

notmysign
Why? It looks very good as it is now more stones could easily mean over crowded and become just another rocky tank.

I would still like to see the LH rock on its flat side, in about the same location.

You have a very nice set up there only one big concerns those two picture frames could be affected by the moisture of the tank as they are directly above the open tank.

Thanks for that input, i think i will stick to what i got now. Since this is my first aquascape i will get the hang of it in future scapes =)
The two picture frames will be moved higher. And time will tell how they react :p

I'd add at least one more stone - aesthetically always choose odds rather than evens ;) ... looks like 4 stones
(you might jumble the removed stones to appear as a 5th)

Regardless this does have much better effect than your initial layout :)

Back