• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NPK For Troughs!

G H Nelson

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi Crew/Gardeners
I've planted out some troughs with flowering plants...Sweet pea's and flowering climbers!
I have a mass of dry salts that I can use as fertilizers!

I would like to make up 2 litres of plant food....how many grams should I use of NPK!
Should I use MgSo4/Epsom salt/Trace as well?
Bearing in mind these a flowering plants in troughs!

I will be using Tapwater to make the plant feed up!
Cheers
hoggie

Hi all,
Sweet pea's
You need to pinch the tops out on these when they are about 10cm tall (it doesn't matter if they are a bit taller, you can still take the top out), if you don't pinch them out they only form one stem and they don't flower for very long.
I would like to make up 2 litres of plant food....how many grams should I use of NPK!
I'd probably aim for about 100 ppm nitrogen, fed once a week.

If you start with KNO3, you need to work out the RMM. The RAM of potassium (K) is 39.1, nitrogen (N) = 14 and oxygen (O) = 16. which gives 39.1 + 14 + 48 = 101.1, which I'm going to round to 100, so KNO3 is 39% K and 14% N.

In one gram of KNO3 you have 0.14g of N, so 7.1g of KNO3 contains 1g of N. One gram = 1000 mg and ppm is equivalent to mg/l.

So ~7g of KNO3 in two litres of water is a 500 ppm solution, and 7g in ten litres of water is a 100 ppm liquid feed. Just make up ten litres and pour it all on.

This will also supply 280 ppm K (39.1/14 = 2.8).

Which phosphorus salt(S) do you have?
Should I use MgSo4/Epsom salt/Trace as well
Probably would for the magnesium, but only every other feed. Epsom salts are 10% Mg and you only need to feed about 20ppm Mg.

Trace elements should be fine with enough in the compost.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel
Sweet peas lve already pinched them!
I've got the standard EI salts!
I've only got 5 small elongated troughs 40cm to 70cm!
So would like to do 25% feed out of a 2 litre container every few weeks!
Thanks for the information:thumbup::happy:
Cheers hoggie

Hi all,
I've got the standard EI salts!
I'd aim for 20ppm P, the extra potassium (K) won't matter.
I've only got 5 small elongated troughs 40cm to 70cm! So would like to do 25% feed out of a 2 litre container every few weeks!
I'd pour all 10 litres of the made up feed on when you water them, but it doesn't really matter.

I don't feed the pots, troughs and house plants in a systematic manner, I just give them a feed when they start to look a bit peaky.

cheers Darrel

Back